Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 Nova Custom .305. I took off the stock intake and carb and replaced it with an edelbrock aluminum intake and Holley 650 cdm carb. It ran for about half an hour after I got it all back together. I spun it around the block and it felt and sounded great. Later that day it started burping fuel up through the carb. Ever since, when you try to start it, it burps fuel. I changed the carb to a brand new Edelbrock carb and it immediately did the exact same thing. The floats are good. There is an inline fuel filter that is clear so you can see it is good. The fuel pump is the original stock. What could be my issue? The engine doesn't have 3,000 miles since a full rebuild with upgraded pistons and camshaft. It has 10W-50 in it with a quart of stabilizer. The thermostat is brand new. The plugs, wires, and distributor are all brand new and upgraded. The radiator is also new. I took off all of the smog and A/C stuff. So it's literally just the engine, intake, carb and required accessories. I would appreciate any help. I am at a loss and my car hasn't run in several weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
i bought a brand new holley street avenger for my 68 and randomly got the same issue. turns out i had a piece of aluminum from manufacturing in the bowl that got sucked into the needle valve, holding it open. pulled and cleaned the bowls and needle valve and no more problem

·
Registered
165 Posts
Burps fuel from where? Does it burp through the venturis or does it spill fuel out of the bowl vent tube?
Also it is possible but rare for a fuel pump to push too much fuel as well. I have seen it before.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Maybe too much fuel pressure or crap in the float bowls or needle/seats? If it did it with both carbs you'd think it was something else, but it's possible that both have crap in them causing the same problem too.

Or maybe the fuel is getting too hot and is boiling and then coming out from somewhere? Maybe try a carb spacer or thicker insulator type gasket to keep some heat away from the carb and fuel?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Burps fuel from where? Does it burp through the venturis or does it spill fuel out of the bowl vent tube?
Also it is possible but rare for a fuel pump to push too much fuel as well. I have seen it before.
Yes, I've had fuel pumps with too much pressure, also...not that common, but if it's original I'd either replace it, or get a tester and check it. If you have a section of rubber hose in the line, try pinching it with pliers or a small c-clamp temporarily to see if it stops flooding. And be careful! Don't start a fire...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The needle is clean on both carbs, so my best bet is going to be the fuel pump. I bought a new one and completely new copper pipe. I'll let you guys know what happens once I get the new pump and pipe on. Wife and I are expecting our second child in about a week, so it's been busy around here. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts