Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Probably be a week or so before it arrives by shipper.

1980 KZ1000, every nut and bolt touched by owner. He almost backed out on me. He built this one for him to ride. I think it has 13,000 miles on it, but few after all the rebuild. Way too many new parts too list. Just the paint by WFO customs goes for $1300.

This is a partial of his words and I have another email with more stuff done. He is burning me a CD of the restoration, including a Clymer manual, rear tail panel and side cover in great shape as well.

Per owner- "1980 KZ 1000 LTD, Bike was torn completely down to frame, cleaned, painted and every part replaced or repaired. I spent over 6K in parts and paint for this rebuild. Have all receipts. All work was done by me except for the paint. I had that done by WFO customs. I touched every nut, bolt and washer on this bike. All new gaskets and seals on the motor, carbs rebuilt, re-jetted with a Stage III Dynojet Kit and synced, progressive springs on the front, progressive shocks on the rear, Corbin gunfighter seat, CRG Hindsight Mirrors, new cables, calipers rebuilt, new pads, new front master cylinder, new wheel bearings and seals, new tires, new handlebars, new grips, all new rubber pieces for frame and pegs, new petcock, in line filters, K&N pod filters and crankcase filter, new sealed battery, new Accel coils, wires, and plugs, new fuel cap, grab handles, turn signals, new sprockets, new chain, horn, fork seals, tapered bearing upgrade on triple tree, new MTC dished pistons, new clutch, etc. too much to list, again I have all the paperwork.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts

Probably be a week or so before it arrives by shipper.

1980 KZ1000, every nut and bolt touched by owner. He almost backed out on me. He built this one for him to ride. I think it has 13,000 miles on it, but few after all the rebuild. Way too many new parts too list. Just the paint by WFO customs goes for $1300.
no picture?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
There's quite a following for those bikes that dates back to when they were new and carries on to today.

Those were one badass bike in their day like the Hayabusa is today.

Nice purchase.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking of putting spoked wheels with stainless spokes. If that means I have to give up the double disc up front then I will probably just leave it as is. This is my 3rd KZ, ridden them since before I could hold them up when growing up as a kid with my brother's bikes. I have had something like 25 bikes or so.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
After reading the list of stuff the PO had done I was gonna be a smart aleck and ask what you were going to do to it, but you already have plans! Kinda weird how if a bikes got wire wheels you put mags, if its got spokes you swap mags onto it I've done it too.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading the list of stuff the PO had done I was gonna be a smart aleck and ask what you were going to do to it, but you already have plans! Kinda weird how if a bikes got wire wheels you put mags, if its got spokes you swap mags onto it I've done it too.
I have always liked the spoke wheels, but I will probably just end up keeping what's on there as it is clean. They may grow on me a little more.

The last 76 KZ900 I actually sold and started buying engine parts to do the 72 I just sold. That KZ I did all new top end, sent head to Florida for valve job, Syn'c and rebuilt 4 carbs, converted to electronic ignition, polished everything up and then sold it. It came to me not running really like it should, but it had powdercoated frame and had factory spoke wheels but with stainless spokes.

Anyways this new KZ1000 is all done, so I will probably just ride for a while not do much but shine it up. :yes::D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Nice bike, I like the older ones when they had to make all the parts look good instead of hiding everything under fairings.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice find Johnny. Now put on a set of clip on's and get you'reself a starts and strips helmet you'll be right on with Cafe bike fad.Rick
Thanks, cafe's not my cup of tea though. Old school KZ's and the old K model 750 Hondas I have done many, probably half a dozen of the Honda's. A few Harleys as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts