Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from KCIR didnt get a new et best,but my mph keeps get faster.
old best 114.06
first run 11.685 @114.48

second 11.604 @ 114.86

third 11.551 @115.06 :D

today was a great day at the track
steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
B A 70,
thanks for the props. this is the second outing of the year, the first was about 2 weeks ago. it ran well but seemed to have "cobwebs'' since sitting over the winter.
last year i only had about 30-40 passes before the season ended:(

still working out my burn outs and launch to lower the 60's hopfully itll get into some 11.40s to 11.30s with a better tune up
steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Scubasteve, was you they guy I talked to at the track today? I like that track, very nice and lots of shutdown area. The prep it good, I got my best 60' ever there today 1.28. What color is your 78?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i dont think we talked ,but i pretty sure i was right next to u in the inspection lane .
btw your car is tooo sweet (dark blue w/ black hood? ) i watched from the stands as u made a pass its sure gitten r done.:D
my 78 is yellow w black hood see "extreme makeover" post thats mine.

where do u normally run? hope to see back at KCIR soon i try to get there every 2 weeks so if your going let me know and we'll hook up.
steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
Steve - yeah it was the dark blue w/black hood. I saw several third gen's but never had time to talk to anyone, too busy messing with the car. One guy came over and was asking some stuff about my hood and a-arms thought that might have been you. It'll probably be a while before we get back up to KCIR, but I really did like the track. I think I might have seen your car in the pits, there were two parked down by the end.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Those are some great times if you ask me

I noticed your running a 670cfm carb. I will be using my 650dp on my 406 when I get it going, what ball park jets would you recommend as a starting point? Right now mine are 65 / 76 from using it with my mild 350.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYH8SIT,
im running the 670 street avenger iv messed with it a bit but i really need a bigger carb its got a 3.5 pv ,73 primary ,78 secondary jets ,yellow vac spring and a pink accelerator cam .
with yours id get the list # and set it all back to factory specs then if you live near a track 1/8 or 1/4 tune it to what your motor likes the best ie fastest mph.
good luck and have fun:)
steve

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Congrats scubasteve, would have been interesting to see if another run would have given you yet another higher MPH!.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I'd bet a 750 DP Holley (maybe even an 850 in your case) would be worth at least 2 to 4 tenths.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan,
its funny that u mentioned that becuse im thinking of getting a larger carb. i might call some of those custom carb shops and get prices.
has anyone bought a custom carb and seen a difference over a mail order carb?
im sure that a new carb would pick up my 3 tenths that im lookig for:D
steve

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I replaced a 750 VS Holley with a 650DP and picked up over 4 tenths. I'll admit my 750 may have not been performing perfectly and also that a 670 on a 406 probably doesn't have the same problem getting the secondaries to open fully that i had. but I read something somewhere that indicated with a Holley 750 VS, the secondaries would not fully open until reaching something like nearly 5,000 rpm. With my combo, I'm just barely at 5,000 going through the traps. I rebuilt a 650 DP to stock specs, popped it on the car, and it just started going faster and faster. My best ET until then was a 13.4, I've now done over two dozen ets from 12.7 to 12.99 at 4 different tracks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for the jetting info

I recently rebuilt my 650dp went thru it a couple of times having problems each time. Then I purchase a proform throttel base and meetering block and it runs like a champ.

MY 2cent on getting a new carb
Find a cheap beat up used 650 dp buy a proform metering block, base plate and the 750 center section and put it together yourself.
You'l be money ahead and plus you did it yourself:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts