Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we got to race yesterday here in western Pa finally. I put a different 406 in my car for this year. This one came out of my brothers car from last year (he put a slower motor in to go back to street class...long story). Any ways, this is a mild 406 nothing special at all. My engine builder has all the exact specs on the cam I just know roughly what it is.

406 ci
.585/.597 Solid Roller Cam
25x/[email protected]
11.8:1 compression
1/2 112 Sunoco 1/2 93 Regular
Older set of M2 CNC Track 1's (Don't know a lot about these)
Professional Products Hurricane intake
750 carb with Proform center and base plate (definitely nothing special here)
all MSD ignition 7al-2 etc
37 degrees of timing
Powerglide tranny
5500 (give or take) ATI 8"
4.33 gear
28 inch Hoosier slick
Home built rear suspension with NOTHING special
Junk slapper bars with home made extensions
monroe gas-matic shocks
Front is stock 8 cylinder AC springs and junk CE 90/10's
Weighs 3250-3300 with me in it.
Staged at 160 degrees went through the traps it was at 170 or so.

My last (best) pass of the day was [email protected]
Best 60' 1.5159
Best 1/8th 6.7881
Best 1/8th mph 101.12

I am really happy and I KNOW there is more left in this combo. I am betting it could use some more carb or at least more fuel in this carb. We are going to try 1.6 ratio rockers on the intakes too I believe. Won't do a lot of tuning on it as this is strictly a bracket ride, I race for points and $$ as long as it is consistent I am pretty happy. Speed never hurts though:devil:

·
Registered
571 Posts
you got that nova runnin good:yes:,i would not say the motor is nothing special .600 soild roller-11.8:1-brodix heads...well i guess everyone has there own opinion of nothing special.that 1/8 mile time should be good for low to mid 10s.GOOD LUCK this season

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the heads are old, I am POSITIVE there is much much better stuff out there now from M2 and Brodix. The cam is really small for a solid roller. With a few changes I could running with Novacain...lol. It is not a perfectly matched combo and I know that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
im sure theres better stuff out there but then your talking about more money.if the car working good and your havin fun,who cares.well if that is a small cam in your motor i better get me a new one for my big block lol.684in .676ex lift 265in/271ex @.050

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Brodix Track 1 heads are nothing to sneeze at. They were and still are very good heads especially if they are ported properly. Mine flow a touch over 300cfm at .600 and have good numbers through out the lift range. They were top dawg in there day for 23 degree heads and still today they are near the top. Maybe the AFR competition heads may flow a hair better.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt they are a good set of heads. Used they were a heck of a deal though and much much cheaper than the exotic heads that are out on the market. When I say this combination is nothing special, I simply mean that it is all off the shelf used parts that were put together and it runs pretty good, for what it is. Had we spent more money for more closely matched parts she would really run. We are going to tune on it a little bit and see what we come up with.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Congrats on the new low.
Just a shade better than your first time out iwht the car whan you were happy to break onto the 13s with it!
Of course that was what 6 years or so ago now?
Dan

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
I think this is my 7th year racing, and I am only 23 years old lol. Been doing this too long, spending too much money...haha. I've won a little here and there along the way though so I guess it's all good.
Yes this is why they call it an addiction......................Oh and Congrat's on your new time

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Mark, glad you're happy with the new combination. Mid 10's is a good place to be in the footbrake class..For a nothing special setup it runs well.

you got that nova runnin good:yes:,i would not say the motor is nothing special .600 soild roller-11.8:1-brodix heads...well i guess everyone has there own opinion of nothing special.that 1/8 mile time should be good for low to mid 10s.GOOD LUCK this season
1/8 mile time is about right for the time he is running.

Well, the heads are old, I am POSITIVE there is much much better stuff out there now from M2 and Brodix. The cam is really small for a solid roller. With a few changes I could running with Novacain...lol. It is not a perfectly matched combo and I know that.
im sure theres better stuff out there but then your talking about more money.if the car working good and your havin fun,who cares.well if that is a small cam in your motor i better get me a new one for my big block lol.684in .676ex lift 265in/271ex @.050
Mark, camshafts on the smaller side are not always a bad thing..People tend to overcam their engines all the time. It's not about peak horsepower...Maybe one day people will figure it out:rolleyes:..Thanks for the reference:D

Brodix Track 1 heads are nothing to sneeze at. They were and still are very good heads especially if they are ported properly. Mine flow a touch over 300cfm at .600 and have good numbers through out the lift range. They were top dawg in there day for 23 degree heads and still today they are near the top. Maybe the AFR competition heads may flow a hair better.
It's not about flow..Flow numbers vary so much and can be fudged so badly, between bore fixtures, flowing with different exhaust pipes or none at all, etc.

Everyone focuses so much on flow..they feed this propaganda to people who have no clue, forcing AFR down their throat so now everyone thinks that AFR is the only head to buy because they flow 320cfm and that they would be great on a pump gas 383:rolleyes:. AFR heads are good...There's no doubt about it. Personally, I believe that the 195 eliminator is their best head. I just prefer other brands..

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
camshafts on the smaller side are not always a bad thing..People tend to overcam their engines all the time. It's not about peak horsepower...Maybe one day people will figure it out:rolleyes:......AFR heads are good...There's no doubt about it. Personally, I believe that the 195 eliminator is their best head.
Novacain, you make me look smart, I went with a small cam and AFR 195s on my 383 :D. Only problem, I am nowhere close to the 10s (maybe in the 11s soon) :rolleyes:. But the motor runs strong and I can drive it anywhere so I have no complaints. Except I need more speed :devil:

Mark, congrats on your times!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mark those m2 heads are one of the better heads out there for out of the box heads. If you are buying a new set of rockers look at the scorpion 1.7 ratio ones, They will help that lift out more also. Congrats on your new best, I was watching it run yesterday it definatly looks alot stronger down track.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Corky, it sure feels a lot stronger. I actually think it drives better at this speed vs. slower...it is weird. I am pretty sure these heads aren't even close to current, I am not sure how long ago M2 started porting heads for Brodix, but these babies have been around for a while. We already have the 1.6's so I think that is what we are going to go with for now. I am happy with it as is, but like I said we might fool with it a little bit. Having a Powerglide in a little heavier car hurts a little as well. Here is a picture of the new launch. Just kinda hooks and goes, not a lot of drama.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Mark, Nice launch! I am curious about your slapper bar extensions. How did you extend them, and what made you decide to add them? How much gap do you have between the snubbers and spring? I am trying to get my slappers bars to hook better, my 60 ft times are very inconsistent (1.65 to 1.90:mad:).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congrats on the new best. As stated, sometimes going a tad small on engine stuff can be better. I ran a .518/.536 solid cam in my previous 383 stroker and it worked well with my Canfield 195 heads to the tune of mid 11s at 3500 lbs. Now with a similar build with the same heads, intake and carb but a change to a bigger solid roller (a tad above .600 lift and in the 260 duration range) she makes another 35 ponies at the wheels. Work on you existing combo before stepping up, and I'd say you have a decent starting point.

Derek

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
sounds like

kudos on your new best.

Sounds like your sorta apologizing for those heads. Of course there is always going to be someone that is going to out-spend you and have the newest thing or whatever. I had a friend back in the early 90's that had a set of Brodix's ( -10s i think ) on a 420 that dynoed 715hp. They would still do great on a bracket car today.

Be cool if you could borrow a 850 or 950 to see how it acted with a bigger carb.

I agree you might be giving up some with a glide but it might be a tenth or so. TCI told me when i was building mine , if it weighs 2800 and down , go with a glide , 2800-3200 it will be a toss up and over 3200 a turbo will usually be faster. But there is always an exception to every rule.

But hey if its consistant , go win some money and put the guys that run faster and not consistant on the trailer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Mark, Nice launch! I am curious about your slapper bar extensions. How did you extend them, and what made you decide to add them? How much gap do you have between the snubbers and spring? I am trying to get my slappers bars to hook better, my 60 ft times are very inconsistent (1.65 to 1.90:mad:).
Z, sorry I missed your post when this thread was still current. Here are some pictures that show my home brew rear suspension. Looks like about 1/2 inch of snubber clearance without me in it. I would bet it is pretty close to touching with me in the car, I never really paid much attention the car works good the way it is, never had to adjust it really. We added them, because as you can see, the snubber was hitting the spring way to far back from the spring eye.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts