Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Best this weekend! Video added.

Thanks to some good air mostly. I tried to do some tuning but for the most part it was kinda inconclusive. The air was good all day but steadily going away. I think that's why my changes were kinda hard to read. What do you think? Last weeks best was 11.66 @ 113

60ft........1/8..........mph.........1/4.........mph
1.603......7.330.......92.49.......11.594....114.51 baseline run
1.613......7.323.......92.92.......11.573....115.06 4 hole to open spacer
1.605......7.327.......92.65.......11.596....114.08 timing 38 to 36
1.623......7.390.......92.00.......11.690....113.22 timing 36 to 40
1.629......7.363.......92.42.......11.643....114.30 timing 40 to 38
1.611......7.357.......92.32.......11.640....113.76 front jets 74 to 76
1.620......7.369.......92.36.......11.651....114.28 rear jets 82 to 84

Even though I lost mph with the first jet change, I went ahead and upped the back jets just to be sure. I figured it would tell me one way or the other but instead I gained the mph back. So maybe if the air hadn't been going away it would've worked even better. Either way it looks like the tune is pretty close, I think. I do know that I need to work on when I first hammer the throttle, it's got a pretty good hole. I just didn't have any cams or squirters to play with. That'll have to be my next project. If I can fix that maybe my 60 ft will improve. Thanks for looking. My wife took some video with a little point and shoot. If it's decent I'll post it later.

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/mdlamorgan/Nova/?action=view&current=MVI_3298.flv

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I still think that 60 needs help. :yes:
But a good day non the less. Well done! :cool:

Post up the video, mabey that will show some thing...

Time to enter some braket racing!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
eh ,,

i think i would try a 2 in open spacer or maybe a bigger carb since it liked the open spacer on top. It never did get the 60 ft back like it had with the 4 hole ,, i think thats coming from the 373 gear which its a trade off adding more gear or maybe even a higher stall converter

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to try the 4 hole on top of the open but there's no way with my flat hood. There may be a small cowl hood in my future.

Okay John, I'm uploading video as I type...kinda slow. I agree, the 60ft is a good place to try and improve. I know if I can get the carb to work better it will help, because right now it's got a pretty bad hole at the first hit.

Other than that where would you start? It seems like it's hooking pretty good so I just don't know how to make it better with what I have.

Okay, here's the vid. Not the greatest but I think you can get the idea. I think this was the 5th pass of the day.

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/mdlamorgan/Nova/?action=view&current=MVI_3298.flv

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
umm

i brought the video back a few times right when the car is leaving , and it looks like to me it is hesitating a lil bit so flogging the carb for sure ought to get ya down some more. Nice looking car :),, An inch or 2 off of that front end travel unless it starts spinning might get it down some as well ::: straps on army helmet to take the counter attack from the " all the weight transfer possible " folks ::::

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Can you give it more initial timing and limit total? I'd try 34° total timing, but maybe a couple more initial to help launch the car.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
mdla, Are you launching it from an idle or holding it at what RPM?
The suspension loaded up before you launched. I will watch it again.

Look at the LONG video (the one from street fire.net) I sent you and look at my suspension, you can see that I did not have the best 60ft on the clock when my suspension loaded up and moved like yours just did. But when I launched from an idle, and I mean punched a hole in the floor board kind of stab on the load pedal, I managed some of my best 60 fts... one of them in that vid was a 1.49. My car launches harder and 60fts better from an idle.

Nice looking car by the way.....:yes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bowtie, I have my timing locked out at 38. When I went to 36 it didn't seem to do much one way or the other. It definately didn't like 40. I may play with that some more.

John, I am leaving from a dead idle. The problem is, it has a big dead hole right when I hit it that's killing me. If you listen close, you can hear it like Levis mentioned. I've got 35 squirters in it now. That carb comes with 31's but they're long gone and I didn't have any to play with. That hole is probably what I'll play with next time out. And maybe a little more tire pressure until the 60ft goes away.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
hmm

you might try it with a distributor without the timing locked if your leaving from an idle ,, i always left around 1500 then flashed it from there

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea its definitely flat leaving the line. 36-38* is plenty of timing. sounds like you need to work on the carb being more responsive. I would think having the 4 hole spacer would help better on that V jr than a open spacer.
In any case try changing the accel pump cams and make sure the accel pump spring has just a tiny bit of play at rest. I would suggest more stall converter, maybe 4.10 to 4.56 gear.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to stay with the open spacer because I had my best time and mph with it. And the very next run the 60ft almost equaled the best of the day.

I went with the 3.73's because I drive it to and from the track, about 70 miles round trip, mostly interstate. Some 4.11 would probably work a little better, I just don't know if I could live with that. (This from a guy who's daily driver in high school had 5.13's).

I'll definately be working on the carb next. I'm not sure when I'll get back to the track yet. It might be a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I decided to stay with the open spacer because I had my best time and mph with it. And the very next run the 60ft almost equaled the best of the day.

I went with the 3.73's because I drive it to and from the track, about 70 miles round trip, mostly interstate. Some 4.11 would probably work a little better, I just don't know if I could live with that. (This from a guy who's daily driver in high school had 5.13's).

I'll definately be working on the carb next. I'm not sure when I'll get back to the track yet. It might be a few weeks.

After reading this my suggestion would be happy with mid 11's, not many cars can run those times and still drive 70 miles round trip to test and tune.
Keep the gears, adjust the carb and have fun!

If all else fails, put a single stage plate kit 150HP and touch the tens with good 60ft.

Dude, that is an accomplishment. I did not know you drove it like that! WELL DONE! :yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
After reading this my suggestion would be happy with mid 11's, not many cars can run those times and still drive 70 miles round trip to test and tune.
Keep the gears, adjust the carb and have fun!

If all else fails, put a single stage plate kit 150HP and touch the tens with good 60ft.

Dude, that is an accomplishment. I did not know you drove it like that! WELL DONE! :yes:

I plan on doing high 10's with a pump gas small block and doing 90 miles round trip to the track. You're right about most cars not being able to do it. When people find out at the track that you rolled up alone, or with only a support vehicle it's pretty fun.

BTW that car looks very nice. I like the look of blue on blue.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Pretty much the exact times was running before I tore my car apart for paint and a new motor. I went 11.30-11.50's depending on track conditions leaving off idle, 3.73 gears, 3500 stall. On a 100 shot it went 10.70-10.80's. That is driving it to the track 200 mile round trip.:eek: I live in San Mateo and drive to Sacramento. GOOD JOB!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Try fattening up the idle with the mixture screws only--I have a friend who is real good at getting rid of flat spots without changing parts, and I've seen him cover up some pretty bad bogs just playing with screws. Your idle won't be silky smooth, but it won't cost anything, and it can be returned in a minute if it doesn't help.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There sure are a lot of fast street cars on this board. I know I'm just average by comparison. But I'm having fun. I'll keep working on that 60ft and see if I can't get it down a little.

Aron69, I've noticed your sig and wondered what your combo is. Tell me more if you don't mind.

Bowtie, I did try turning the idle mix screws a little just playing with it at home. Just a little made it so rich and rough that I put it back. I may try that at the track next time though. I like easy.

Here's a question for you. I should be right at 11:1 compression. With my aluminum heads and fairly big cam, it should be okay on pump gas, I think. We only have 91 around here. Being a new engine I didn't want to risk it while I was figuring the car and everything out, so I've been running some 101 mixed in. Actually mostly 101 at the track. Probably 3 parts to 1 with pump premium. So the question is, what will working my way into pump gas do for me? Everybody says too high will only hurt performance. How will it effect my jetting? Food for thought.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
513 daily driver

513 gear , daily driver ,, ,, black marks on pavement that look professionally done with paint rollers , priceless :devil:

I'd listen to the engine for any detonation and check the plugs and be careful with the timing on pump gas , see what it does and doesn't like. I'd check your cranking cylinder pressure , see where that is. I'd say if your around 170-180 you may not have any problems

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, zero decked, .039 felpro gasket. If I remember correctly, my calculated static compression is 10.90 with a DCR of 8.24 for whatever that's worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts