Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this spring i picked up some 4.56's for my rear and we finished putting them in thursday night. i picked up an easy tenth, and consistency was MUCH better. ET's were around 7.84 the whole night. then we stopped for a bit, pulled the mufflers, and did this:

60- 1.757
330- 4.941
1/8- 7.619
mph- 91.30

i was stoked! the car is finally performing up to its potential. then we tried to back it up, and got two 7.80's passes. so i'm racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck is going on, and it's the end of the night so we pack up and come home. today i'm thinking heat soak, and i'll tell you why:
last week's 7.73 run was the first run of the night. the car had been sitting a good hour and had plenty of time to cool off. this week's 7.61 was after stopping to get a soda, watching some cars run, removing the exhaust, and running. both times the car was cooler (around 180-190, as opposed to 200ish) and both times it had plenty of time to sit (fuel pump, fuel lines, intake, carb had time to cool off).

so...any ideas how to cut down on heat soak?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Electric water pump and fan; I can get down to 135 degrees in a couple minutes--my good engine likes to be cold. The junk motor in there now was over a tenth quicker and 1 mph faster going from 190 to 150 degrees.
You want the other fluids(trans and rear end)warm, but not the engine. I've had my best times usually on the first pass off the street when everything is warm, but I cool down the engine before making a pass.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Most of the time if you compare your 60 ft times they will show you why the ET is jumping around. That is usually the problem. Also compare you mid track times and MPH. A general rule of mine when the ET is inconsistant is if the MPH is constant then the traction is usually the problem not the tune up. When the MPH is jumping around the tune up may be off. Are you are heating the tires differently? That is a hugh problem for many people. RM

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Last year I found that my car ALWAYS ran quicker when it was cooler. I installed one of these summit fans as a pusher with a mechanical on/off switch on the dash. The fan is flipped on right after a run and cools the motor off pretty fast depending on outside temps. It also gets that hot engine compartment air circulating. I like to get the motor down to 130 before I get into the burnout box. I lose a MPH or so when I try and run too hot. Make sure your battery is up to the task. I had mine drain it a few weeks ago and my night was over.

Congrats on the new best.:)

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294924500+4294839058+400304+115&autoview=sku

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I have my electric fan on a thermostat switch,but also on a toggle. My water pump is on a toggle also. So after a run,I'll run the fan and pump without the motor running. Cools down in no time at all. I try to get up in the box around 150-160.
Brandon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts