Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Get a good thermostsat like a Robert Shaw (I've had good luck with them). With nothing there, and a high flow water pump, the coolant can be flowing too fast and not giving the radiator enough time to remove the heat from the coolant.
This is an old wives tale that just won't die. The radiator is called a radiator because its job is to radiate heat, not cool water. The hotter the radiator is, the better it works, and the way to keep it hot is to pump as much hot water through it as possible. There is no time involved, just the rate of heat exchange.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
With nothing there, and a high flow water pump, the coolant can be flowing too fast and not giving the radiator enough time to remove the heat from the coolant. You must have a thermostat or a PROPERLY SIZED restrictor on a street car.
I have a high flow water pump and nothing in the thermastat hole and my car runs 185-190 ALL day long.And it is a street car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have heard that too, not giving the water enough time in the radiator to cool.It was debunked on a TV show, Speed Channel I watched years ago. I changed timeing to 19 Initial, it goes to 35-36 total, running MECHANICAL MSD. It is a hi-flo waterpump. Anywho, the timing definately helped. Was about 88 today and it ran 190-200. The sending is on #1 head, that's the temp I want to read. It seems to like the additional timing just fine, no hesitation off idle. Taking it to Thompson Raceway tomorrow, hope I don't blow it up. I do have a rev limiting MSD, but murphy has been working overtime on me lately. Bet I can't get going off the line, I don't have an operational posi. The fan seems to do great, like a windstorm compared to the little dual fans. Don't know what cfm it is.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I just added some octane booster to the 110 I'm using.
Why? 108 octane is more than enough for a 14-1 engine under 8000 rpm. Adding octane booster to too much octane will hurt performance more than it would help. If your engine doesn't need the octane, you're just throwing money down the drain. Call VP or whatever fuel company you run, and see what they tell you. We've seen losses of 20+ h.p. when using more octane than needed.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts