Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a new 383 Stroker, the pointer on top of the harmonic balancer, won't allow Saginaw style Power steering pump to fit properly. The new pointer is a block of aluminum billet, with a steel needle pointer. It prevent the bracket that hold the pump, from fully descending. This make the pump lay too far to the left of vertical, and not move enough over to accept the belt. I can't mess with the timing pointer, without making timing possible. Holding up my project. Need suggestions/solutions!

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
Several years ago, I installed one of those adjustable billet aluminum pointers onto my small block and had the same issue that you are describing... there was a small section of the power steering pump bracket that interfered with the adjustable pointer as I tried to install the power steering belt. Note: I also have an 8" Harmonic Balancer.

My solution was to cut a small piece out of the power steering pump bracket (portion that interfered with the pointer) to gain the necessary clearance to install the power steering belt.

Another option might be to install a larger diameter power steering belt... as long as the power steering pump assembly would not interfere with any other engine components when belt is tightened.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same thing came to me after watching a ton you tube posts! One guy briefly mentioned modifying a bracket, with no further details. First I hacks sawed, then cut a piece out. Still in the process of grinding out the proper amount. It should work! I also thought about a longer belt. How funny that we both came up with the same solutions! Thank you very much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts