Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first of all I just wanted to say thanks for all of the help that's been given thus far and secondly I wanted to appoligize in advance if this is in the wrong area for this thread and also to bear with me as it's going to be difficult to explain my problem.

A couple months ago I swapped the tranny and put in a B&M floor shifter (Zgate). Since then when I removed the old column shifter, the floor shifter doesn't control the gear selector on the dash and when I turn the key it won't start unless I use my other hand to push up the column selector ALL the way back to Park for the engine to crank. It's a big pain, though I've gotten used to it, but my lady has a hard time with it so it's gotta change. Someone said something about the Neutral Safety Switch, but honestly that means nothing to me. Hahah. :no:

Can anyone tell me what went wrong in the swap or what? Please feel free to ask questions if anyone gets lost. I know, it's complicated. Thank you.

·
14,588 Posts
If you bought the shifter new, there should have been some microswitches in the kit for the neutral safety and the back up lights. The switches would mount on the side of the shifter and the wires from the neutral safety switch and the back up light switch(should all be on the same piece) should be routed to the new switches on your shifter. The factory switch is mounted on the lower part of your steering column.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Neutral Safety switch is a device that only allows the starter to activate while the car is in park or neutral. So you can't start the car in gear. Like he said you need to move the wires from the colomn shifter(stock) to the new b&m shifter. And as stated the standard is a microswitch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts