Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, me and my dad bought a 73 nova about 2 weeks ago with a 350 in it. well this past week we have been busy putting new a arms, sprindgs, shocks, leafsprings, tie rods, ball joints, and bushings. so now that the suspension is done for now were goin to tackle the engine. the guy who we bought the car from didnt know any specs on the engine.

it has:
holley street dominator intake manifold
Edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb
Comp cams cam with 236/236 duration ill let you know the lift when i get the card from the car
not sure what heads are on here but my mechanic said he thinks there stock.
some really old distributor that we cant even find a name or part number on it.
Long tubes with 3 inch exhaust all the way back with a H pipe

and it has a turbo 350 trans with a 2800 stall

What would be the first things you guys change with this setup? its just a street car. I was thinking vortec heads, Edelbrocks performer intake, 750cfm carb, and new msd distributor and box.

Sorry for my ignorance, i know NOTHING about older engines, for the last few years ive been workin on new hemis, so im excited to learn something new.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi, sounds like a nice project, im glad to see all the new people buying 73/74 cars and using there potental. As for the engine if the heads and pistons are stock its only got 8.5 compression and is to low for all the other parts in the combo, so a set of new 64cc edelbrock rpm heads would bring that up to 9.7 and work with premium pump gas and that cam. As for intake a matching rpm air gap would be nice for streetability and that thunder carb would be fine along with a performance HEI distributor. Keep in mind that your rear end has a 3.08 gear although it will work ok a 3.55 would wake up the engine. Good luck and lets see some pics!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
pretty much agree. Either the eddy's or some vortecs or some good ol' GM castings like the 186's or 041's or 492's. 2.02's. 1.6's, the usual stuff. I'd run a Lunati voodoo series cam and performer air gap and a holley 750 instead of the edelbrock, JMO. 1 5/8" headers and HEI she'll be a good street performer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the engine has just been rebuilt so im not sure what pistons are in it.
The trans aslo has 3.42s. were going to get a compression test done in a week or so before we pull the engine.

Since we are pulling the engine, is it worth it finding a machine shop to do any work on the block? and if we do get vortec heads should i bring them to a shop to get anything done?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
What's the budget??

There's a thousand different directions you can go!!:yes: There's a big difference in performance with different heads. On a budget, there's the Summit (Brodix and TrickFlow) and Profiler offerings as well as the Vortec route. But if the budget will allow it, a set of AFR 195 Eliminators with an Edelbrock RPM would be a killer package with the cam/stall/gear combination you already have.:yes: AND still leave you room to grow in case that engine ever grows up a little more..:devil::yes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no real set budget, but since the car is just a street, cruising car there is no need to blow a ton of money for just a few more horsepower. i want mostly low end trq, So i mainly just want the most for my money. But i am pulling the engine to shave the firewall and to paint the engine and bay. so i figured it would be a great time to do some performance mods.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Then look real hard at the Vortec heads and matching Edelbrock RPM intakes.:yes:

You'll also need self-aligning rockers, center-bolt valve covers (or the adapters) and the heads will likely need a little work for the added lift clearance.:yes:
Depending on the parts you might or might not already have, it might be cheaper to look at the smaller runner heads offered by Summit (I believe they are TrickFlow heads). Then you could reuse your rockers, valve covers and intake (Even though an RPM Performer would be a nice upgrade:yes:)...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to get new valve covers anyway, and i have had a few people telling me that this intake isnt the ideal one for low rpm trq.
What kind of work would the vortec heads need to work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts