Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get out your motor manuals and can somebody tell me what the correct timing specification is for a 1972 el camino? its a 2bbl engine, don't know if its a 327 or 350. 3spd manual trans. This is a bone stock deal.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
4º BTDC for the 350 175 HP manual trans the same for the 307, there were no 327's in 72.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. Now I don't suppose you have the vacuum schematic for that engine? I want to hook up all the vacuum lines correctly. OH and what is the correct idle speed and set procedure? it has one of them idle kicker solenoids on the carb. Thanks again, mike

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure if this el camino needs that TCS solenoid. The car was originally an automatic then converted to a 3 spd manual. I may just remove it all.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You can check the block casting number to verify what cid engine it is, also the 307 used a small two barrel carb and the 350 carb was a larger 2 barrel. Most of the engines back then liked 10-12degrees initial timing with the vacume advance disconnected. Idle speed should be about 700 in nuetral. Set your dwell before the timing.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I converted the car over to HEI. I sent an email to the owner today Im not clear as to if this engine is the stock one. The oil pan has been changed so its a mystery at this point. Again if the TCS solenoid is not needed I'm yanking it. Yes I know the purpose of the solenoid. I can't find any means of a pressure or temp sensor to make the solenoid work. I'm just not sure till I talk to the owner if he wants this thing bone stock. Just in case I wanted to be prepared and give him what he wants. I am going to suggest converting to a 4 bbl too.

thanks for the help guys. I'll keep ya posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts