Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys looking for some advice on what to change on two problems I have.

I just got my car last week and there are a few things that need to be changed asap. One is the brakes and the second is the suspension.

I have never driving a car with drum brakes before so when I drove my car for the first time I was shocked that I had to put some serous force behind the pedal for the car to slow and even then it was like trying to get a bus to stop. So with that being said ill be upgrading to the disk brakes. I have been looking at some of the conversion kits up here looking to just get front done since this is a weekend joy ride of me. I think or hope just changing the front out will be enough of an upgrade. So any advise or brands would be great.

Second problem is the cars suspension feels like I’m driving on clouds. When I drove it in the country it was very bouncy and the steering was loose. When I change the breaks out I want to upgrade the suspension at the same time. Hopefully just the front would be good enough. Again this is just a weekend car and not something that will be ever taken to the track. I want to get this car to feel tight and not so loose when I drive it. So if you guys could tell me where I need to start or what I should be upgrading to get me where I want to be would be great.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
329 Posts
get this for your first problem
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...922533+4294746628+4294907060+115&autoview=sku

or something like it (power brakes + disc brakes (J50 and JL2)
Hawk pads infront
and bendix or raybestos shoes for the back
and for extra stopping power get some earl's stainless steel brake lines

second get one of these sets body bushings(poly or aluminum)
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...839050+115+4294881579&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|0

better shocks (kinda like F40/F41) I would pick Blistien or Koni
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...94907681+4294925130+4294839061+115+4294919396

a better set of springs swaybars (kinda like F40/F41)
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925130+4294839061+4294841605+115&autoview=sku

get some subframe connectors

and tubular A-arms
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...94907681+4294925130+4294839061+115+4294848363

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way I saw up here where a guy placed a link of a complete set of bushings for the body and front end. It was a complete set. The color was yellow if that would help. I have looked for it up and down this section but cannot find it. I think the price was around 160.00 or so. Anyone have any idea’s where or what it was.

·
Registered
91 Posts
First steps.

I would say that you should start simple, try some cost effective solutions that will get you working on your new car. in the process you may find things that require attention, but the mission should start with cheap but labor intesive upgrades. Suspention bushungs first off, I like Polygraphite myself, due to there desity and self lubrication properties. Second, and while your in there do the brakes with new hoses and maybe some semi-metalic pads. Springs are pretty cheap and you will have it all torn apart...... :)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey man thanks for the links I think ill be going with the bushing kit but not sure on the rest of the stuff until the guy doing the work looks it all over but he did tell me to find some sites and a few place to get it from so ill add this to the list. by the way nice work on the car looks great.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would get the power disc brake conversion, a sway bar, and replace every bushing with polyurathane, also some nice shocks, then see if you need more.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would get the power disc brake conversion, a sway bar, and replace every bushing with polyurathane, also some nice shocks, then see if you need more.
this is exactly what I had in mind but what do you think about the front springs would they need to be changes out to or would the shocks be enough? Also could someone share some links on brands and places with the best deals. of course I want a good product but I'm not trying to get the best of the best just trying to have good smooth ride.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Why don't you look at factory disc brake setup for a 70 Nova SS. Few things to note....... they will bolt right up, you can get parts over the counter at just about any parts house, no fitting or R&D required....GM already did it for you.

You have many options for your particular year model....keep it simple, find parts easily replaceable.....they are out there.

T,

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
this is exactly what I had in mind but what do you think about the front springs would they need to be changes out to or would the shocks be enough? Also could someone share some links on brands and places with the best deals. of course I want a good product but I'm not trying to get the best of the best just trying to have good smooth ride.
Im a buget guy! My springs are original and i have multi out back, a 3/4" sway bar and some premium parts store shocks should do it, new urathane bushings will do wonders for handling, you could get a power brake system out of a 74' because this year would be easiest to score the parts from. If you have mono leafs in back upgrade to multi and it wont be so soggy.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why don't you look at factory disc brake setup for a 70 Nova SS. Few things to note....... they will bolt right up, you can get parts over the counter at just about any parts house, no fitting or R&D required....GM already did it for you.

You have many options for your particular year model....keep it simple, find parts easily replaceable.....they are out there.

T,
That would be great I had no idea I could just go to the part store and ask for that. So what do I ask the guy? Just tell him I have a 70 nova with drum and I would like a conversion kit or the whole front disk brake assembly for a 70 nova ss?? I'm sure this would be a lot cheaper as well. Oh and which one would be the best to go to advance auto, napa, or auto zone?
For the suspension I'm going to go with what the guy above said new front shocks, bushing, sway bar and maybe springs but still waiting on name brands and locations on this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts