Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, on the 66's. might need to go from a flat hood to a cowl. Don't want more than 2 inches prefer 1. Any pics out there you can post.

If I put a straight edge across the fenders, is the bottom of the edge really the clearance or do the flat hoods have a bit of a curve? Would test myself but my hood is in a different location then the body.

Is this 1 inch? Is this a factory hood or aftermarket?

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk310/cdunson/66 Nova Project/1-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My steel cowl hood looks like the one in the picture. The only difference between the flat hood and my cowl hood is a round cutout under the hood for an air cleaner. Not sure if that is what you are asking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My steel cowl hood looks like the one in the picture. The only difference between the flat hood and my cowl hood is a round cutout under the hood for an air cleaner. Not sure if that is what you are asking.
So is that a 1 inch? Do you know how much extra clearance you get with that?

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
First, on the 66's. might need to go from a flat hood to a cowl. Don't want more than 2 inches prefer 1. Any pics out there you can post.

If I put a straight edge across the fenders, is the bottom of the edge really the clearance or do the flat hoods have a bit of a curve? Would test myself but my hood is in a different location then the body.

Is this 1 inch? Is this a factory hood or aftermarket?

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk310/cdunson/66 Nova Project/1-1.jpg
That is an aftermarket 2" cowl hood.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It is a 2 inch. The only room that is gained is right above the carb. I run a single plane intake with a spacer and a 14" air cleaner with no problems. It also fit under my stock hood though. The bottom of the hood follows the curvature of the cowl.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am looking for about 11.5-12 inches of clearance. Looks like there is about 11 using a straight edge across the fenders.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^^does that give you an actual 2 inches of additional clearance? Is it all the way down the hood or just a round cut out like mentioned above?

Should have mentioned there is an LS in it.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Never really checked! :confused: I just knew I needed it. :yes:

However, I'm running a 2" spacer and an air cleaner and still have enough room to close the hood. :yes: Obviously! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just put my Goodmark 2" cowl hood on last week! Love it!
So looks like all the cowls just have the round cut out for the air cleaner and the rest is as flat as a stock flat hood? Can someone measure the depth and radius of that cut out? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Just went out and measured mine.. The opening is 15-3/4in dia. and its 2-3/8 from base of support to the top of he raised cowl hood section Hope this helps!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Mines a different gen Nova, but I like those 2" cowl hoods and that is what I run on mine.:yes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the glassmark is only $430 that's cheap! What's a factory flat hood worth. Be nice to find someone to trade.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bringing this back. If I go straight across with a flat bar, this intake is 3 inches higher. But I am hoping that the 2 inch cow hood has a bit of arch in, that with the 2 3/8 should clear I hope.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
So looks like all the cowls just have the round cut out for the air cleaner and the rest is as flat as a stock flat hood? Can someone measure the depth and radius of that cut out? Thanks.
I believe that would apply to the metal hoods. My glass cowl hood is a double skin show hood and it is all open underneath.:yes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts