Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to repaint my drivers door, black base / clear. I just painted the car a couple years ago and it has not seen the light of day yet.

the question is, after scuffing the door do I need to prime it or can I just shoot the base again and then clear it.

thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
77 Posts
paint

as log as theres no damage or u didnt burn through the paint u should be fine to rebase and clear . i would recomend an adhesion promoter/ cut in clear like ppg's dbc 500.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No primer needed. Wetsand the door with 600-800, spray some base over the affected area, and clear the door.

·
5,132 Posts
Exactly as Dork posted, 800 sand, blend color, clear entire panel.
You can use DBC500 as a blending bed before the color if you want.
You can also use DX840 as a bed and a blender. The tech sheet for 840 will give you multiple options.
I usually use DBC500 with DX57 catalyst as a bed and use 840 as a blender.
I your case, since you would not be sealing, you could use DBC500 without catalyst or 840 as a bed.

BTW, DBC500 is NOT an adhesion promoter. It is simply unpigmented DBC basecoat, paint without color. It will not stick any better to a substrate than regular DBC basecoat. You need to sand.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Some paints have been know to have a reaction to prior paints. We use PPG at my shop and PPG can be tricky sometimes. We always seal the prior paintwork before we refinish. I would recomment that you read the manufactures instuctions for refinishing over their product. But the other guys could be correct and you may not have a problem but its better to do your homework and do it once.

Also, black is not always black. Black has toners in it and make sure you paint the same black or it may look slightly different and you may have to blend into the adjacent panels.

·
5,132 Posts
Some paints have been know to have a reaction to prior paints. We use PPG at my shop and PPG can be tricky sometimes. We always seal the prior paintwork before we refinish. I would recomment that you read the manufactures instuctions for refinishing over their product. But the other guys could be correct and you may not have a problem but its better to do your homework and do it once.

Also, black is not always black. Black has toners in it and make sure you paint the same black or it may look slightly different and you may have to blend into the adjacent panels.
You are correct, but I wouldn't put sealer on unless you have cut thru the clear.
It makes it alot easier to keep the blend area small. The existing clear gives a nice consistant surface.
If the clear has been cut thru, it's a gamble if you don't seal that spot.
I guess I shoulda asked paint brand first.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree. DBC and others can be a pain to repair. I was assuming that the clear has not been sanded through. And it would be nice to know what brand of paint we are talking about on this repair. I was also assuming he has the original paint since he painted the car. 1floho are you guys activating the base at your shop?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the information. The brand of paint is PPG. I do have some of the original paint left over, but that was three years ago and I am not sure the shelf life, I'll have to check.

BTW, this is going to be a street car and it does not have to be perfect. The moth dust just stood out way too much because it was a white dust suspended in the clear.

here is the car, you can see the moth spot where I started sanding it away. I think that since it is a spot on the door I am just going to rebase and reclear the entire door and not bother blending.

·
5,132 Posts
I think it would be wise to blend the color and clear the whole door.
If you base the entire door and it doesn't match, you'll be blending your fender and quarter later.
Black isn't black anymore. I'd always blend based on what I see in the picture.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I think it would be wise to blend the color and clear the whole door.
If you base the entire door and it doesn't match, you'll be blending your fender and quarter later.
Black isn't black anymore. I'd always blend based on what I see in the picture.
I second this ^^^

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll agree.. Even if you do have the original paint you used. Their is no point in spraying base over the whole door. However. If this is what you are going to do, make sure you are using the original paint that was left over from when you first painted it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts