Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Hi,I'm in Calgary and after many years of tinkering,I'm ready to have Nova painted. Any recommendations for a driver quality paint job?
Hard question to answer. I spent $17k total in all to paint my 67. Still haven’t put a single mile on it. Need to get windshield and rear glass done and finish interior. My point is- I enjoy most of my cars when they’re not painted. The whole process can wear on you. 13 months, took car to two different shops. If you have to do the trim work- I have found these cars to need a lot of work for the bright work. My 69 camaro and 72 nova don’t have all that crap. :)

I love my patina 66 nova and rattle canned twin turbo 72 nova. They don’t look great but I’m hesitant to paint. I prefer to buy cars now that are past the paint process.

good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
2,079 Posts
Like everything, results starts with the base. By that I mean the condition of your car body will directly reflect in the paint job. Imperfections, body lines, door gaps, etc. will be more profound after painting. So;
First - body condition first
Second - findi a reputable "paint guy". For that I would suggest spending the time talking to others who have had similar work done. Visit car shows and cruise in's and look at cars with paint jobs you like and found out from the owners who did them. Personal recommendations is the best way I know to find out who to do use and who to not use.
Third - have clear written expectations of work. What, When, Cost and Payment Terms. My top rule is NEVER pay up front or pay before "stages" of work is completed. Another way of saying this is I want to be owing them for work done than them owing me for work that I have already paid for.

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts