Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my problem is sort of complex. I race in two series both using a 4/10s pro tree. In one series delay boxes are totally illegal, can't even be in the car. In the other series you are allowed a basic delay box but no Mega 400s or boxes with throttle stop options. In both series timers/ devices for speed or traction controls are totally illegal. Ok so here's my problem, My car is just deadly consistant and predictable but if it gets dark I turn on the red light. Every pass in the dark for the past 1 1/2 yrs I have not won a round in the dark, been .00 red every pass. I have tried all the routine fixes with tire pressures and stuff. I need suggestions that can be done easily and quickly when it gets dark. I am .02 in the sun, .01 in the evening, but if it's dark I go red .00 so whatever I do needs to be done easily and fast. Looking for suggestions? Thanks for any ideas. RM

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Red Lights?

Hey Now. Red lights only at night? I would suggest that you try a pair of yellow lens eye glasses. You know the kind that people use when they are hunting or target shooting. The problem is the way your vision percieves light at night. Sincerely, "Bill's" II :geek:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sunglasses with an amber lens does enhance preception and might be worth a shot. They are popular with the bicyclist crowd.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered wearing sun glasses at night to slow sight down, in fact we talked about it again yesterday. I worry that I won't be able to see with them since most tracks here have just enough light to see now. In fact I struggle at some tracks to find the finish line now it's so dark. The yellow glasses help brighten things up and would cause me to see better in the daytime so how will that help? I would be red even in the sun with them wouldn"t I ? We use to wear them years ago before we got the LED lights to better see the old incandesant bulbs. Am I thinking about this wrong? Thanks, RM

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used to run a pro et bike a few years back. Our trick was to have atinited shield with the sides blck taped so you picke up the amber quick, then at dark, we would flip up our shields. On a pro tree we all were in the .050's and could maintain that regardless of the daylight

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Joe, what type trans are you using? A pg I hope. If you have a stock case, get a slower button. If you have a Dedenbear case, screw the bolt in the back in all the way. That will slow it down .03. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have run P/Gs since I was racing up there with you.......LOL. This is a stock case. A guy offered me a Biondo button last night. Nice guy I met in staging was offering to let me use it and had no idea who I was. You got to love racers......LOL. Anyway I refused since I had no way to get it back to him. Looked like it had alot of adjustability to it. You ever use one of those? May just get off the hip and get one. I have another race next Sat so I got to do something or stay home and just bracket race. I was doing real well in the one series last year, won more money than it cost to race last year. But they run on Sundays during the day last year. Made it to the finals twice and went red both trips cause it got dark. We always split the purse so it paid well anyway but never got the braggin rights of winning. Been horse bit so far this year. Wasted a 6.003 run on a 6.0 index with the redeye second round yesterday. That went with being #1 qualifier with a 6.001 run. I got the friggin car figured out fine, just need a driver.......LOL. 59 yrs old and fading ......LOL.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My father has a button that used to be in his car. It's made by Biondo, and he used it when he was bottom bulbing. It's about 4 inches long and has an adjustable shank on it. Maybe you should inquire about something like that...You could put more travel in the button at night. Or, a flip up dark visor, or glasses if you use an open helmet. Just pull the glasses off once you leave the line...that's what my brother did driving a 10.00 camaro. Drop front tire pressure didn't do anything?

P.S. -What kind of transbrake switch ya got?:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the button I thinking about Novacain. Might not do so good on the steering wheel with all that stroke is what worried me. RM

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Real McCoy said:
That's the button I thinking about Novacain. Might not do so good on the steering wheel with all that stroke is what worried me. RM
Are you a lefty or a righty?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right handed for most things. Bat left and if I get old enough to start golfing one day I'd golf left too.......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Get the adjustable button and mount it on the hump. Keep the regular one and have a plug so you can swith buttons when it gets dark. Dave

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Hey RM,

Have you ever thought about getting a pratice tree and using it during daylight and in the dark. Just an idea...:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been running my buttons on the steering wheel since 1987. I use to mount them on the hump or the dash but I found for me I'm much better with it on the wheel. I just have to pull my hand up which is the fastest most consistant move for me plus it lets me get my hand back on the wheel fast in case the car gets crossed up. Been looking at switches all day and while I like the Biondo switch it won't even get close to working on my steering wheel. I do think an adjustable switch is the answer to my problem though. Now I am either going to buy or create a steering wheel mounted switch that is adjustable. Been sketching some ideas up so I'll come up with something........LOL. Thanks to everyone for some great suggestions. RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw that just today while looking at every switch I could find in every catalog I have.......LOL. I may just order it since it is as close to fitting my application as anything I've looked at so far. Thanks. I also checked out your web site. Nice job with that. All you need now is a few 3rd gen Novas to make it complete........LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just saw your other post. I quit playing with the practice tree because it wasn't helping me at all with the 4/10 pro tree. My problem is my 59 yr old eyes........LOL. They're just not what they once were. I have tried various glasses because I have stigmatism and also can't see much at all close but none of the different lenses I've tried can fix my problems without creating another one. I just see the lights so much better in the dark. One buddy just told me to turn on the light inside the car at night which would dull the tree light. Thought about that but not sure I'd be able to see the track then.......LOL. The switch will be the direction I head in for now. Might have to think about giving driving up soon. I sold my fast car in 2000 and said I was done then but quickly got bored and built this car. It's slow enough for me to be safe in but nothing lasts forever so if the switch doesn't work maybe selling out is the answer. Getting old isn't for sissies.....LOL. RM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts