Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm about to drop my new motor ink my car, and all I need to do is put the oil pump, pickup, and pan on.

But my oil pickup tube won't go in the oil pump

I measured the tube's diameter against the hole in the pump, and it should fit perfectly, but no matter how hard I try, it won't go in.

I need to fix this quickly, any help?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Take a open end wrench ( think its 5/8) put it over the tube above the ring and tap it slowly. You can also leave it in the freezer a few hours to make it easier to go in

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Need to use the correct tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

Melling Screen Installation Tools

MCAT-62
For 5/8" diameter tubes

MCAT-75
For 3/4" diameter tubes

Melling Engine Parts supplies tools for installing press-in type oil pump screen assemblies. The pumpbody should be placed on a small block of wood with the tool straight up and down. Start the screen straight into the hole by twisting and turning by hand before pounding. Under no circumstances should the screen or oil pump be held in a vice. This will lock up the pump by crushing the gear pocket. The tool can be tapped with a hammer until the rolled bead on the collar of the screen tube is flush with the oil pump. This is a metal displacement press fit that only works once.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Make sure to get it welded. I had the two bolt on ears break off on the pickup my wagon and dropped the pickup into the pan. New rod & main bearings and pump and pickup later, it seems to run OK.

·
Registered
595 Posts
When welding the screen on, YOU MUST REMOVE THE OIL PRESSURE RELIEF SPRING!!!
If you don't, you will weaken the spring and have no/low oil pressure:mad::mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts