Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Novas wiring is a total rats nest, it has some drains on the battery, I believe its the reason my car went from starting fine to not at all. I charged the battery. Unhooked the alternator, battery holds a charge. Reconnected alternator and its not even cranking when I try to start it. There are connections that aren't plugged in and when I plug some in, they get hot...quick. so I unplug them immediately. I look at wiring diagrams and its like a whole new language. Id love to just replace and rewire it all so I know there are no shorts. Any info helps.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
A known good alternator would be a simple and logical place to start. You could have your current alternator diagnosed. As a test, you could remove the battery ground cable, then reattach it to a charged battery to see if there is a spark when the cable's terminal touches the battery's post. Next, do the same thing with the alternator disconnected to see if there is still the same spark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My battery charger says its 100% charged. All lights and locks work. Could my battery still be bad? I have a pretty fancy charger that tells me all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply by the way. J really appreciate it. My battery doesn't exactly have posts, it just has the screw in terminals

·
Registered
28 Posts
Doesnt sound like a battery or alternator when it wont even crank immediately after it was running and charging. As someone else mentioned, you can have the ALT bench checked at any auto parts store. When it wont crank, give the starter the hammer trick to see if that changes anything. An imperfect method but a tried and true test of the starter solenoid.
Outside of that, you will have to use a DVOM and begin by testing the lead that activates the starter solenoid. See if you have voltage there when someone is holding the key in start position. Depending on those results, you will have to work your way backwards to the ignition switch. Look here on the forums for a schematic for you model year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Painless wiring makes aftermarket harnesses if you really wanted to start from scratch.

They also have awesome instructions that may be helpful even if you don't buy their harness.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. My ignition switch was placed too far back lol. Now I'm blowing white smoke so that no fun. Gonna try to replace the head gasket tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts