Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a guy that has a 2000 or 2001 3/4 ton Chevy pickup with a 5.7L. He said I could just have rge motor but I dont know if I really want it...what are the pos & neg of this motor & what is it called(what gen or LT?) Are theses considered vortec heads? Would this be a good option for a roller cam motor to replace my GenI 350?

Any other suggestions, maybe its just a boat anchor?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I know a guy that has a 2000 or 2001 3/4 ton Chevy pickup with a 5.7L. He said I could just have rge motor but I dont know if I really want it...what are the pos & neg of this motor & what is it called(what gen or LT?) Are theses considered vortec heads? Would this be a good option for a roller cam motor to replace my GenI 350?

Any other suggestions, maybe its just a boat anchor?

Thanks!
The 5.7L is a gen II motor. It would not be available in a year 2000 pickup. The new gen III engines were used in 2000 (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, LS series).

Find out which engine it is, and what year the pickup is.

Either way, I'd take the engine for free. :yes: I'd pay good $$ for a gen III engine. :D

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I agree, that should be an LS series engine. In the 3/4 ton, the base motor was the 6.0. I believe it's called an LQ9. Is there any way you can take a look at the build sheet? It should be in the glovebox.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be near the engine again on Wednesday & I'll take a look at it. From what I understood the Gen III engines went in the Silverado(1500-3500) & the C2500 & C3500 in 00' still had the 5.7 or 7.4. I've run into that a lot in the aftermarket parts biz but I'm gonna double check it & let ya know, maybe he told me the wrong year too.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
If it's a "WORK" truck using the old body style of pre 1998

The engine will be a 5.0 or 5.7 engine and will be vortec.
One piece rear main seal, 4 bolt, vortec head FI engine.

If it's a Silverado, it will have a 4.8 or 5.3 LS based.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I'll be near the engine again on Wednesday & I'll take a look at it. From what I understood the Gen III engines went in the Silverado(1500-3500) & the C2500 & C3500 in 00' still had the 5.7 or 7.4. I've run into that a lot in the aftermarket parts biz but I'm gonna double check it & let ya know, maybe he told me the wrong year too.
You're right. They treated the trucks different from the Suburbans, too. The Suburban 2500 in 2000 has the LQ9 6.0l.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was kinda hoping it would be a 4 bolt main since its a 3/4 ton...thanks guys, I'll let ya know!

·
Registered
932 Posts
gm was funny 90-01 2500and3500 all had 5.7vortecs and the old body style kinda like dodge and the way they built there rams back in 95-02

if its a 5.7 or even a 5.0 both are vortecs and have 250hp 280ftrq are also easy to switch to carb or swap into a older vechial being a gen2 sbc enging has a seperate wiring harness

1 - 9 of 9 Posts