Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hella all, im new to this site and im looking for some help. i dont know much about car but i do know i love my 67 nova.
i took it to the shop and was told i might have a crack in head on my 194 after they did a block test.
they gave me quotes to rebuild and to repair the 194 but to me it doesnt make sense to pay that much to fix a 194.
question is: what would be a good engine swap? im not looking to race in it, its my daily driver. just looking for a little more power that the 194 if im going to do a swap.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Twisted 6 is right, find yourself a 230 or 250 and if its from a different car than 62-67 Nova swap out your oilpan and pickup. And there is your more torque and more power. All of your bolt ons should bolt on too, water pump, alternator, power steering, air conditioning etc.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
"might" is a questionable word...If the head is cracked, Just replace the head with a rebuilt one. OR is it a blown head gasket??. Find out for sure what is wrong first. Then decide your course of action. If you replace the engine, get a rebuilt 230 or 250 long block from your local auto parts store and transfer all your external parts to that then use your 194 as a core.
If you're thinking V8 swap, just know theres a lot more involved in doing so. money and parts wise.. Best to stick with a 6cyl. Fix what you have or replace with another 6.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Twisted 6 is right, find yourself a 230 or 250 and if its from a different car than 62-67 Nova swap out your oilpan and pickup. And there is your more torque and more power. All of your bolt ons should bolt on too, water pump, alternator, power steering, air conditioning etc.
As long as you do not have PS you don't need to swap the pan.You can have it C knotched or dimple it at the drag link.I have done and do both,And still keep the same pan no swaping.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS NEW TO THE IL6, BUT I'M MORE FAMILIAR NOW, BUT FWIW I GOT AN EXTRA 194 HEAD OVER HERE, IF YA NEED IT. :yes:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It's not uncommon for the 194 head to crack. 230 or 250 are great choices. I preferred the 250's, just seemed that I could make them run better.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
the most common head that was prone to cracking was the intergrated head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts