Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is staying safe. I've been socially distant from my Nova since its been pissing me off lately. I am contemplating a switch over to EFI. I don't have heart set on anything specific, but there seem to be 2 front runners for me. Holley Sniper Stealth, or Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. I plan on an Aeromotive tank, for delivery. I am running a mild 350, but want the option of more HP down the road.

Here are my questions.
1. Anyone running the Pro Flow 4 on a first or second gen? They seem to want a vacuum referenced pressure regulator, and I can't see a great way to do it that is clean. This is really the main issue steering me from the Pro Flo.
2. Anyone running the Sniper Stealth and have feedback. I would run the vette filter/regulator with this system. Also anybody running the Holley ignition that they suggest.
3. Is there something else I should be looking at? FiTech reviews seem to be spotty.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've helped on several Fuel injection units and we are fixing to install one on my friends 60 Biscayne. It actually came in today. I have the Holley Terminator with about six thousand miles and it has been great. My friend is putting the Sniper on with a Tanks Inc. fuel injection tank with a in tank pump. I believe the Sniper has a built in regulator so you may not need the vette filter/regulator. This will be the second Sniper install and the first has been flawless also. The main things I've found is that the pump needs to be in the tank and the Fuel injection needs a return line. Of all the ones we have done the only problem we ever had was when we tried to use a rail mounted fuel pump and returnless system. Once we put the pump in the tank and added a return line the problems went away. We are running stand alone ignition systems on all our installs. We haven't tried to let the fuel injection run the ignition.

Years ago I ran a Fast fuel injection unit with fuel rails that had injectors into each port on a race car. I did like the fuel rails and every port having it's own injector but my experiences with the throttle body injection units have been great. I don't think you can go wrong with the Holley fuel injection units.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1971-72 Chevy Nova and Ventura Fuel Injection Gas Tank

you will have to copy and paste the link above but it is an fuel injection tank with the pump in the tank plus it's baffled...don't know what year your car is. I've been researching this quite a bit recently ...the pump will supply up to 100 psi...combined with the right regulator in the engine compartment for a carb application it will suppy enough fuel for over 600 hp...if you go to fuel injection it will supply enough fuel for 500 hp or less..either way your gonna have to run a return line to the pump I'm hoping to pull the trigger on this setup when the weather cools and get away from the mechanical pump cuz it's starving my engine under heavy load

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got the Pro-Flo 4 on a big block in a 65. I have the regulator on a bracket on the passenger head and the reference hose runs along the fuel feed till it goes to the throttle body. I can get you a photo later.

·
6,314 Posts
There is also Fitech. Which ever system you go with, following the directions exactly is key to success. They all could potentially end up with a problem that is product related but that is rare. The majority of the problems people complain about are typically as a result of poor installation or cutting corners. The least favorable fuel system is an inline pump on a non-baffled tank. Best case is a in-tank pump followed by a surge tank one(it's like a mini gas tank but requires a low pressure pump to feed the high pressure pump in the surge tank).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, yes fuel delivery seems to be the make or break for these systems. That was one of my hesitations on the pro Flo 4. Not sure I can get the clean look in the engine compartment with that vacuum referenced pressure regulator. We will see what Vapor came up with.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Holley website has a "retrofit" in tank returnees fuel pump as part of their Sniper kit. Anyone have any experience with one of these.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been running the sniper with their inline pump on my 406 for over 2 years now, have around 4k miles on it.
The pump and filters are mounted to a piece of aluminum that i attached using the fuel tank straps and they are at
the bottom of the tank. For the return line, I used the morosso efi return kit.

20200725_090458.jpg 20200725_091434.jpg
20200725_090458.jpg
20200725_091434.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have assisted a friend with a Pro Flow 4 on a BBC. He's had some problems but not directly with the Pro Flow 4. He had a bad Aeromotive fuel pump, that was solved by replacing with a Walbro. He also had some problems with burnt up plug wires which affected the fueling. Once he got those things straightened out the Pro Flo 4 has been flawless. He has a 502 with big heads, big cam, makes a lot of power. The FI has made a "nasty" engine docile, but it didn't affect power.

I don't know why you can't put a vacuum referenced pressure regulator right on the fuel rail. What's your objection to that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only objection to the regulator on the rail, is then the return line. I think the sniper, i can run just a feed line in the engine compartment. My goal is an as stock look as possible. The fuel rails on the pro flow are obviously an issue as well, but they do have an clean look. Just don't want hokey fuel lines and wiring all over the place.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Duke - I'm looking at the Holley Sniper with the Retro-Fuel Pump. From what I have read this will allow me to use the fuel tank I have (which is fairly new) and only have the fuel supply line to the Holley throttle body. I have not talked with Holley rep yet, but going to. What I don't know is the down-side to not having a "baffled" tank. I also want the more standard look on my SBC and the less mess under the hood, the better.

Regardless what some may say, it's your car. Make it like you want it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The downside to not having a baffled tank, or an in-tank fuel pump, is that with EFI, if there's ever an interruption in fuel flow, the engine is going to miss or die. With a carb you can stand that because the engine will run for a short time on the fuel that's in the fuel bowl in the carb. So with an unbaffled tank, your engine could sputter on acceleration or braking, or even on a cloverleaf intersection.

·
6,314 Posts
The downside to not having a baffled tank, or an in-tank fuel pump, is that with EFI, if there's ever an interruption in fuel flow, the engine is going to miss or die. With a carb you can stand that because the engine will run for a short time on the fuel that's in the fuel bowl in the carb. So with an unbaffled tank, your engine could sputter on acceleration or braking, or even on a cloverleaf intersection.
The way around that is a low pressure pump feeding a small tank (surge tank). A submersible high pressure pump now has a constant fuel supply with an unbaffled tank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rick/ Shane - The Holley Retro fuel pump is an "in-tank" fuel pump. I understand what your saying about with no baffle in tank there could be a loss of fuel contact in the scenarios you mentioned if you were low on fuel. I'm in the "looking" stage and this route will depend on if and what location I could use this type pump in my present tank. Appreciate comments and if you think of other issues, let me know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am thinking of the Aeromotive tank

I spent some time looking at engine bay the other day trying to figure if I did make the swap how I would run the fuel supply and return. The Holley would easier, LS regulator in the rear so only supply running to the front following stock location. If I do the Edelbrock I leaning towards mounting the vacuum regulator on the fuel pump block off, then bringing the feed line up normal location. This way I would run a new feed line from the tank following the stock line, and use the stock line as the return. I think I could bend up a vacuum line for the regulator nice and tight.

Has anyone mounted a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump block off like that?

Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you are looking at the Sniper set up you don't need a external fuel pressure regulator. It is built in. If you are looking at the Terminator you can mount your regulator directly where the return line hooks up. That's what we did.

I would rather have a in tank fuel pump that wasn't in a baffle than a fuel pump that is mounted on the frame rail or somewhere else outside the tank. I don't think it is a issue unless you get low on fuel. They do make a baffle kt but it takes some fabrication. A tanks Inc fuel injection tank really isn't that expensive either.

·
6,314 Posts
There are in tank drop in fuel pumps that mount to the top of your existing tank. They have a wicking filter that lays along the bottom of the tank and eliminate the need to add baffles. Disadvantage if they are around 1" higher than the tank when installed. That may be a problem if your tank is tight to the trunk pan. Fitech now sells surge tanks similar to the Holley and they offer mounting horizontally. They do have to be fed by a low pressure pump.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For the reasons mentioned in post above is why I'm looking at the Holley retro-fit fuel pump. Been aiming to get car on lift all week to check for clearance on top of tank. Always something else coming up. Trying to keep my better half happy with her projects because the bills of all the parts ordered and planned orders will be soon coming in.
If interested here is link for the fuel pump I'm looking at.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts