Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAn anyone email me a picture from the 'side' of a 275/40/17 tire mounted on a 17x9 rim? I want to see how the tire hangs over the rim. I need to know about how far it hangs over and how the tread surface lines up with the side of the rim. I have a set of 17x9's and the lip of the rim is pretty close to the outside of the fender flare... that is why I want to see a picture of that tire on that rim.

Thanks,

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is a BFG KDW 275/40-17 mounted on a 9.5 rim. With a 9 it would just "arch" a little more I believe.9" rim is low side of suggested with for that tire (9-11) .However, it will vary by manufacturer. I recently replaced this tire with the same 275/40-17 in an Eagle F1 and they are noticeably not as wide, so that could free up some more room for you. I will try to get a picture of the rim with new tire soon
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That picture is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for it. If you had to guess, would you say that the widest part of the tire buldges about 1/2" beyond the rim lip and the tread might be about even witht he rim lip? Would you mind measuring the actual tread width for me?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
643 Posts
with the new tires I would say maybe 1/4". Seems to make sense since a 9.5" rim is 10.5" from outside edge to edge, and at a section width of 10.9 puts it close to 1/4". The BFG KDW states a 9-11" rim for this tire. The Eagle F1 states 8.5-11", so that seems to back up it looking visibly narrower in tread width. They both state section width as 10.9" on a 9.5" rim though. The tread width appears wider on the BFG, but isn't stated on the spec chart for the BFG. It's 9.7 on the Eagle. A chart states that putting on a 9" rim would subtract .20 from section width, so you would pick up a little more room with the smaller rim also. Hope this helps
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts