Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket rad and electric fan combo that can be bought to keep these things cool? I've got a 3 core rad now with a single electric fan that's not good enough. (can't get through Mcdonalds without climbing 20 degrees) The rads not original to the car and there's no shroud on the fan , which I'm sure would help. The car is a 66 acadian with a 425ish hp 350 in it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
This is not much help, but I had to inject my personal experience.

My 68 Chevy II ran great and the temp red light never came on.

I put in a set of aftermarket gauges and now the car shows 220 with the AC on. I solved the problem with a bit of tape over the temp gauge; now runs great again.

On a more serious side, the shroud should help considerably.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
normally speaking low speed overheating issues like this are caused by too little air flow through the rad...a shroud would help greatly with this. Also a lot of people are having good luck using the ford Tauris electric fans...there are quite a few threads on here about that fan....good luck:)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've never found an electric fan that can come close to the Vintage Air Monster fan that I use--but you need a BIG alternator to use it; it draws a ton of amps. It's 18" and has an adjustable bracket that will fit almost anywhere, and they have a shroud made to fit it perfectly. It's based on a Lincoln Mk.8 piece, maybe a junkyard would have one cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Do a search in the forums for Taurus fan. There are plenty of threads about installing one from a V6 Taurus. They flow over 3000 CFM and are cheap from a junk yard. I picked one up for $20.00 and it completely solved my issue.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've never found an electric fan that can come close to the Vintage Air Monster fan that I use--but you need a BIG alternator to use it; it draws a ton of amps. It's 18" and has an adjustable bracket that will fit almost anywhere, and they have a shroud made to fit it perfectly. It's based on a Lincoln Mk.8 piece, maybe a junkyard would have one cheap.
I didn't even know VA made fans. I thought they just made AC/Heater kits. Awesome. :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Are you using a stock iron water pump? A good high-flowing water pump will cool things down as well and would be less money than a new fan/radiator setup. I'm running the Flex-A-lite dual 10" fan setup, Summit aluminum radiator, and Stewart Stage II water pump. No cooling issues at all.

Jason

·
6,399 Posts
A proper fitting shroud and a good mating fan installed correctly should cool most of the small block engines in Novas. There have been a number of heat related cooling problems that have been discussed before with various solutions. You can do a search for them with the search option in the task bar near the top right side of the page. I'm not a big fan of most electric fans unless they are the Taurus/Lincoln ones. I'm not familiar with the VA one but it may be a good one. Personally I've tried some of the other company fans and they never cooled as well as a fan/shroud combo that is properly sized and installed. My favorite fan is the 70's Caddy 500 c.i. mechanical flex fan from GM. It's a tight fit in the reproduction Nova shrouds.

Where are you in Ontario?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I fixed my 66,s over heating problems permantly without a fan shroud [I don,t like em].Griffin aluminum rad and a 2600 cfm electric fan.Never gets over 195!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts