Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please keep in mind i am new at this.anyway,i bought a 73 nova ss clone that
the paint was old and wanted a new paint job.the car had no rust or,bondo at
all with very straight lines.i took the car to a local restoration shop and got an
estimate of $3500 to repaint the car.when i got the car back it has alot of what looks like paint blisters,fish eyes,orange peel effect on several areas of
the car as well as several places that looks as though the sander got down in
the metal and gives it a chicken scratch appearance.the shop said that is what you get for $3500.1st does this sound right to anyone or,am i just being
too picky and secondly the restoration shop put in the contract they would
use 1 coat of primer,2 coats of base,and 2 coats of clear.is there any way to
determine if in fact product promised was actually applied?the car also has a
few tiny spots that you can see the bare metal.your opinions are greatly
appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
While 3500 won't buy you a show quality paint job. It should get you a pretty nice job considering there was no bodywork involved. There should in no way be any fisheyes, blisters, runs or any other serious paint defects. The only way to really tell what they put on is to sand down through the finish. You can grab a rag and some rubbing compound and see if the color comes off on the rag. If so its single stage and not base/clear. Does the contract say anythings about these problems?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You're going to have some orange peel with clear coat. A better painter will make it alot less, but a quickie shop, you'll have a good bit. But blisters, fish eyes, and bare metal are just plain unacceptable. That's from nothing more than pure lack of proper prep before spraying. Bare metal is area that wasn't painted, unacceptable. I'd demand that he fix the car, and do it right. Now as to the orange peel, that's where color sanding and buffing come into play, but you'll want more than 2 coats of clear on the car before you color sand it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are always two sides to the coin, but looking at this side, I'd say you got ripped off!!!I spent $2k to have a 69 Chevelle totally stripped and painted - no issues like this. I'd be jumping up and down on this guy's desk demanding he re-do everything & make it right!!! Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
opinion on paint job

While 3500 won't buy you a show quality paint job. It should get you a pretty nice job considering there was no bodywork involved. There should in no way be any fisheyes, blisters, runs or any other serious paint defects. The only way to really tell what they put on is to sand down through the finish. You can grab a rag and some rubbing compound and see if the color comes off on the rag. If so its single stage and not base/clear. Does the contract say anythings about these problems?
unfortunately it does not say anything about these problems.i was planning on
taking the car to several body shops for evaluation because i don't think this
guy is going to be willing to do anything.i just cannot believe he is trying to
tell me a paint job that has paint blisters and bubbles in it should be acceptable!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
opinion on paint job

You're going to have some orange peel with clear coat. A better painter will make it alot less, but a quickie shop, you'll have a good bit. But blisters, fish eyes, and bare metal are just plain unacceptable. That's from nothing more than pure lack of proper prep before spraying. Bare metal is area that wasn't painted, unacceptable. I'd demand that he fix the car, and do it right. Now as to the orange peel, that's where color sanding and buffing come into play, but you'll want more than 2 coats of clear on the car before you color sand it.
thanks for the answers.will probably take threatening to take him to court to get him to do anything and this might be the best route anyway as i don't
know that i want him doing anything to me car again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
opinion on paint job

There are always two sides to the coin, but looking at this side, I'd say you got ripped off!!!I spent $2k to have a 69 Chevelle totally stripped and painted - no issues like this. I'd be jumping up and down on this guy's desk demanding he re-do everything & make it right!!! Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
thanks for the responce.this guy has already said he is not willing to fix anything except the dent he put in the top of the car(forgot to mention that)
unless i pay him more.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
all with very straight lines.i took the car to a local restoration shop and got an
estimate of $3500 to repaint the car.when i got the car back it has alot of what looks like paint blisters,fish eyes,orange peel effect on several areas of
the metal and gives it a chicken scratch appearance.the shop said that is what you get for $3500.1st does this sound right to anyone or,am i just being
appreciated.
Can you post some pics? Minor orange peel is somewhat acceptable but paint 'defects' from poor application or preparation is not. Did they strip it to metal? Was it a color change or same color?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
paint job..

That blistering you describe is probably from poor prep work...old laquer paint that reacted with the primer/sealer and lifted (blistered) when the paint hit it. Sometimes the primer will etch into the old paint and cause this....with original or very old paint everything must eb completely stripped to insure a quality job. Base/clear will give you some orange peel...but wet sanding and buffing the clear usually flattens it out...document your findings and stay calm...contact state Motor vehicle Repair, BBB, consumer fraud, etc....yo may end up in court...post some pics so we can see....

good luck

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, for thirty five hundred and a contract you have a leg to stand on. Paint defects are not part of the contract. Even orange peel should be taken care of. Not to mention ANY bubbles or sanding scratches.

So they are unwilling to work for you. No big deal. Take ALOT of pics for court. Sue him, if you dont and just suck it up he is laughing all the way to the bank. Small claims court is a simple process.

Even if the sub base was who knows what, chalk for that matter. He gave you a quote seeing the condition of the car. You dont pay for a crappy paint job. If you do then he thinks the next guy will also.

Painting a car isn't rocket science. For a painter thats painted a few cars he should know what hes looking at. And whats the sickest part is he said yeah, it is what it is and yer screwed. I would be flamed with that response. I wouldnt take it and neither should you. Sue his azz.. JR

http://www.junkfax.org/fax/action/how_to_sue_in_sm_claims_ct.htm
http://www.peopleslawyer.net/smallclaims/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
opinion on paint job

Can you post some pics? Minor orange peel is somewhat acceptable but paint 'defects' from poor application or preparation is not. Did they strip it to metal? Was it a color change or same color?
supposedely they did strip it to the metal.color was not changed.i will post some pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
opinion on paint job

That blistering you describe is probably from poor prep work...old laquer paint that reacted with the primer/sealer and lifted (blistered) when the paint hit it. Sometimes the primer will etch into the old paint and cause this....with original or very old paint everything must eb completely stripped to insure a quality job. Base/clear will give you some orange peel...but wet sanding and buffing the clear usually flattens it out...document your findings and stay calm...contact state Motor vehicle Repair, BBB, consumer fraud, etc....yo may end up in court...post some pics so we can see....

good luck
thanks for the good info.i will post some pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
opinion on paint job

Ok, for thirty five hundred and a contract you have a leg to stand on. Paint defects are not part of the contract. Even orange peel should be taken care of. Not to mention ANY bubbles or sanding scratches.

So they are unwilling to work for you. No big deal. Take ALOT of pics for court. Sue him, if you dont and just suck it up he is laughing all the way to the bank. Small claims court is a simple process.

Even if the sub base was who knows what, chalk for that matter. He gave you a quote seeing the condition of the car. You dont pay for a crappy paint job. If you do then he thinks the next guy will also.

Painting a car isn't rocket science. For a painter thats painted a few cars he should know what hes looking at. And whats the sickest part is he said yeah, it is what it is and yer screwed. I would be flamed with that response. I wouldnt take it and neither should you. Sue his azz.. JR

http://www.junkfax.org/fax/action/how_to_sue_in_sm_claims_ct.htm
http://www.peopleslawyer.net/smallclaims/
great advice!i really appreciate everyones responces and all seem to be in
agreement.i did take my car to another local restoration shop today and as
pretty much all of you that responded said there opinion was a very,very
poor prep job and completely unacceptable.i am going to offer the guy one
more opportunity to make it right which the shop i took it to today said the
car would need to be stripped and repainted to be correct due to the amount
of paint bubbles,sanding scratches,bare metal showing,etc and if he refuses
small claims court will be the next step.

thanks again!
ben

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Out of curiosity I have to ask: Did the other restoration shop give you a price to do the job?

Rich

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You've been had:yes:, sorry to hear it, thats one good reason why i do everything myself! including trans r&r and rear set up, plus im cheap, i dont trust nobody including myself sometimes:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
appreciated.
:mad::no: Brother ive got the same problem, i feel your pain. I had my ride (65 HT SS) painted about a year ago and now i start to see bubbling and blistering around the left quarter and along my drip rails. :mad:I was F-ing furious to say the least so i go back and to make matters worse now the shops out of buisness. Now paying top dollar for a paint job (which regretably i did) or not this situation blows. And it is a pretty kick *** paint job too... minus the minor blistering!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
this has happened to a lot of us. take it as a learning experience. seems you did not get the goods and services per contract so in that case, you could file small claims at your county court. small fee and it MAKES the guy respond. PICS WILL BE ESSENTIAL, WHERE ARE THEY?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
opinion on paint job

Out of curiosity I have to ask: Did the other restoration shop give you a price to do the job?

Rich
the other shop said they would completely strip the car and completely redo
everything for $2500.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You got ripped!!!!!!

Here is an Earl Shieb....$1400.00 including striping, wetsanding, the whole ball of wax....Lifetime warranty. It is their diamond service. I am very happy with the paint. If the bodywork is good a good painter should be able to lay paint well. These pictures don't do it justice. Take him to court....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts