Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma of sorts. I have the original Muncie shifter for my '68, but as you probably know, these shifters suck. At the same time I want the original look so I am considering cutting the handle off it and grafting it to a Hurst CP shifter. I just hate the thought of cutting up the original shifter.
Thoughts????

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Just keep the shifter and put the Hurst in. They make a Hurst handle that is offset if needed.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
I have a dilemma of sorts. I have the original Muncie shifter for my '68, but as you probably know, these shifters suck. At the same time I want the original look so I am considering cutting the handle off it and grafting it to a Hurst CP shifter. I just hate the thought of cutting up the original shifter.
Thoughts????
You need one of these!!:yes: You use the Hurst shifter linkage and bolt your original handle to this bracket and it all looks original but still shifts like a Hurst! :D

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I don't beleive the 68 Muncie shifter handle bolts on like the 67 and earlier, or Corvette, handles do. they should be like the 67-up Camaro shifters. Now I certainly wouldn't cut up the original shifter. Maybe, get a Hurst CP shifter, then you can buy a new repo Muncie shifter, maybe even just the handle, and cut and graft that one on. I know it'll cost a little more, but it's worth it in my opinion to not cut the original. Have you thought about getting your original rebuilt? With a Muncie box at stock specs, and new arms and levers, and the reinforcing strut attached, they're not bad shifters unless you're pretending you're Ronnie Sox and trying to pull off 7000rpm power shifts. Usually the Muncie shifter starts to be bad when they get worn, and after almost 40 years, yours is surely worn. We rebuilt the original for my uncles Corvette and it shifts nicely. Or you could buy a new reproduction Muncie shifter and run it. Get the entire kit though and the rod that runs to the transmission case to stiffen it up. Here's a pic of how it should be installed:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1099184
There's some good info in there too as to how to adjust the original shifter. Don't forget to keep it well lubed also.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
You hear alot of people say that the original sucks. I paid big money for an original bench seat setup so Iam hoping it works ok. Do you plan on shifting fast? My 66 is just a Sunday cruiser so I dont plan on running through the gears in a street race so Iam hoping just easy shifting is better. I have never had any cars with a Muncie, just automatics with 8 inch convertors and one T56 but Iam looking forward to the old school feel.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I think the 64-67 Muncie shifters are really good, and that's what I have in my 68 now,but in 68, GM dropped the reverse lockout and began mounting the shifter to the crossmember. When the motor mounts flex, it binds the shifter, and without the reverse lockout, it's too easy to get into the reverse quadrant instead of first when downshifting. I don't like the sound that makes....but I am wanting to get the original shifter back in.

Yeah, I know that I shoudn't, but I will make some hard shifts sometimes. I once broke the handle at the 5/16" threads for the knob on a 68-up Muncie shifter - I can't help it- it's the same reason I haven't owned a motorcycle in 20 years.....but thanks for the tips and that 64-67 adapter is really cool!!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm going to adapt an aftermarket Muncie handle for this reason, I know I'm going to grab a gear or two every now and then. The last thing I want is to break something because I jammed the shifter!

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK,guys I agree the muncie shifter is not good for speed shifting and showing off. But which CP shifter and install kit are people using in Novas with a console since there is not one listed for console cars?? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi

Hi,
I pretty much agree with all the feedback you got from above posts!!!
When restoring my '68 I was thinking just like you!!!
I bought a brand new Muncie shifter/linkage to hook to my M-21, to have that original look and feel. Mistake!!!
Although it was all hooked up properly and adjusted a few times, I was getting a 2nd to 3rd miss once in a while and sometimes a 3rd to 4th miss also. All my experts friends tried and we all agreed that the old school guys were right.
Get rid of that Muncie shifter. I got a new CPlus with install kit and it's night and day!! If you have a motor with a bit of torque, that crossmember hookup to the shifter really flexes the shift arms and that's why it alters your shift. Anyway, I will look up the part numbers for the shifter and post later. Bought it at Advance Auto.
Ken

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Factory Muncie Shifter...

There is no doubt the factory Muncie was prone to jamming and sloppy performance. The Hurst CP with the Muncie handle grafted on it is the best solution for solid trouble free use. There is a guy in Oklahoma, named Ray Williams who restores and rebuilds the Muncie shifters...he really knows his stuff and can make them perform better than new. I have one of his shifters and know many who haved used him....just wanted to let folks know there are options. If someone needs contact info...send me a PM.

wilma

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great!!! Thanks Ken that was exactly what I needed. I assume the setup is the same in a '70 as a '68, so I should be good to go.

Wilma - Thanks to you also, I have heard about Ray Williams beforee and have is info on file at home. Like you I think the best solution is the CP shiftr with the muncie handle graffed on. You end up with the best of both worlds. Again thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
My Nova's shifter has no brand name so I'm guessing it's not
the original shifter/linkage. If it was the original Muncie I'd probably
have it rebuilt and try to keep it.

My '69 Chevelle came with it's original Muncie in a box and a Hurst CP
that shifts great.

Tom I'll send you a PM for Ray Williams Info.

I'm all for installing the Hurst CP in the Nova with one exception...I'd like
the original 2-piece black knob on the shifter.
Anyone figured that out yet?

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Chevy Ray is the man! That is who I bought my restored bench seat shifter from, it looks great. I cant wait to install it. Cory

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
By teo peice shifter knob, are you talking about the knob witht he black ball and the chrome base that locks the ball into place? If so, I'm using a Hurst knob that looks just like an original like that. I'm not sure how old it is though, I got it on the clearance shelf two years ago. I'd imagine they still make them that way though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Going through and reading the post regarding Hurst Cplus shifter and just wondering if someone could answer my question. What shifter should I be getting if I'm converting my 1971 nova to 4spd console car with hump. Should I be looking at
3914339 1968 with console or
3916848 1968-73 without console

I haven't welded the hump in yet because I want to make sure nothing binds.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Going through and reading the post regarding Hurst Cplus shifter and just wondering if someone could answer my question. What shifter should I be getting if I'm converting my 1971 nova to 4spd console car with hump. Should I be looking at
3914339 1968 with console or
3916848 1968-73 without console

I haven't welded the hump in yet because I want to make sure nothing binds.

:eek:
I'm going with the 391-4339 in my 69 console car, my non console car has the 391-6848 it's a bench, this shifter sits too far left to work with the console.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I believe 68-72 are all the same except for the following:

back up light switch connection is unique to 68

no reversre lock out in 1968

wilma
The no reverse lockout is why the linkage kits are different, as well the way 68 bolt to the trans, is with a stud and nut, 69 used a bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts