Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the mini tub, 4 link is on it's way. Going to order wheels next week so I can measure what rear end length I need.
My dilemma.... I have a 8.2 10 bolt with 3.73's and posi with less than 500 miles on it. Not planning on adding power (currently 400hp) so should I have it narrowed or buy new??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Cheaper to have it narrowed.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I would do some measuring; you might be able to get enough backspacing from the wheel and not need to touch the rearend. Depending on how much your mini tub is; i'm thinking a 10" wheel with 5.5-6" of backspacing may put your wheel/tire combo right in the center of the tub.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,895 Posts
I would do some measuring; you might be able to get enough backspacing from the wheel and not need to touch the rearend. Depending on how much your mini tub is; i'm thinking a 10" wheel with 5.5-6" of backspacing may put your wheel/tire combo right in the center of the tub.
Not even close. If you run a 10" wheel and a stock rear you'll need 7" of back space.:yes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wouldn’t shorten a rear end unless I back-halved the car or had to change the diff anyways due to a significant horsepower upgrade. I have 8” wheels with a 5.25” backspace which center the tires in my stock fenders with the shocks moved inboard of the frame rails. The mini tubs will give you room for a couple more inches of wheel and tire which means 2” more wheel backspace taking you to 7-7.25”.

I thought about mini tubbing mine but had a hard time justifying the cost and time to gain a couple inches of tire, and my factory SS is too nice to cut up anyways.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since I wanted to upgrade to an 8.5, I narrowed a 2ws s10 with disc brakes and added a posi and 3.373. Running 8" wheels with 3.5 backspace.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I want deep dish wheels so I know i will need to narrow the rear, ordering 18x11's with 5.5 backspacing. After looking at prices, think I am going to have the rear narrowed as long as I can find a reputable shop to have it done or look into the 8.5 S10 as 66 wagone suggested.

I know very little about this, learn as I go. I am assuming I should go with big ford ends so I can bolt in my axles and not have the c-clip correct?

Appreciate everyones input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts