Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well apparently on the cruise Sat my radiator picked up a foreign object although small but is enough to show a small leak. Matsons says it is toast, can't repair aluminum (be cool). The radiator has a single electric fan/external trans cooler. I notice most of you guys have double fans/metal shrouds. So if I have to purchase a new radiator I do want one that will accommodate perhaps air conditioner also. So please recommendations will be appreciated. :yes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
black pepper works wonders as well:yes:, some of you might remember this trick from the cpp cruise , when my buddys 65 chevelle was leaking. The pepper even sealed up the leak from the metal plate behing the water pump. just remember, If you use some sort of stop leak , If youever drain the water put more back in :yes:. good luck roger

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick replys. I'll try the stop leak/pepper stuff and start putting change away for the New Rad. I'll also check out those dual fans. Are those dual "plastic" BeCool fans any good?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for the quick replys. I'll try the stop leak/pepper stuff and start putting change away for the New Rad. I'll also check out those dual fans. Are those dual "plastic" BeCool fans any good?
Roger try the pepper or stop leak , save some money and see jack at matsons. My rad was 850.00 with dual fans (spal fans) shroud completly polished very nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hot rod saga. The radiator is leaking at the top of the tank by the radiator cap, I've had it pressure checked etc. It is toast, but Be Cool said send it to them and they will epoxy fix or replace or give me a deal on another. Matsons suggested that I follow this route first. (very honest of them) The Nova is on a garage vacation. I'm going to relocate the trans cooler to just below the radiator parallel to the ground to get it from in front of the radiator. The electric fan is 16" with a shroud that does not cover the entire core. It has Revcor on the fan motor and I have no specs on the pulling power. So researching that. :turn:

·
Registered
876 Posts
congrats on not having to spend more big money on a radiator. I am hopefully going to get one before the bbq.
Don't let that garage vacation last as long as my wagon's.
whew on the location, thought you might have hit some spikes on the way out and poked a hole in it coming out of the harbor.
jim

·
Registered
876 Posts
yeah forgot about that when I recommended going in. all my cars are lowered and I have never had a problem getting out. always here a little scraping and hope nothing gets punctured.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would send it to BE Cool and let them fix their own unit.

I run a BE Cool as well.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I sent it on friday so we'll see what their verdict is and take things from there. The tech was very helpful and positive.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm going to relocate the trans cooler to just below the radiator parallel to the ground to get it from in front of the radiator. . :turn:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15850/
Something you might consider is the derale trans cooler that has an elctric fan. I have seen them mounted under the car next to the trans, mine is mounted on the fender well and I have some holes cut in the fender well for air passage. Not sure if all models have it but mine has a thermostate and it goes on after a while in stop and go traffic and I think it stays off when I'm traveling on the freeway.

Chuck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts