Chevy Nova Forum banner

need new distributor

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Redrider66SS 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
One of the most popular setups with the #8207 coil, ive ran them for years and built countless engines with them. A little overkill, you could get away with the HEI distributor #8362 for way less $ and just as good results.

#4 ·
I ran Mallory's HEI into the 11's turning up to 6500 RPMS's without as so much as a hiccup. If I need a new one will probably go with the 8362 but the 8360 is nice you shouldn't have any issue with fitment.

#5 ·
thanks for the replys guys. ive only messed with changing out a dist once, an that was a 1500cc VW engine. i'm having a shop set up everything with a complete tune. they have been around for 40 years.

#6 ·
We call those "Ready to Quit" distributors. Had one that acted very strange-timing would move around whenever the engine was running; before it completely quit after half an hour. Sent it back to MSD, said they couldn't find anything wrong, but it came back with different parts installed. Stuck it in my El Camino, fired right up, 5 minutes later it shut off and wouldn't start. Tried another distributor-no problem.
Finally ripped the module out and converted it to work with an external box--no more trouble after that.
I don't trust them. An under $100 HEI will work just as well.

#10 ·
I have tested prototypes for MSD--Installed the 7AL-2+ box, drove to track, made a couple passes, on the way home the box quit. Returned to MSD. Got it back, drove to track, made a couple passes, on the way home it quit in almost the same spot on the freeway! Got it back a third time(missing the end cover) No more problems since that time. I keep my 20+ year old 7AL-2 as a backup, since it has never had any problems. I have seen numerous failures of their boxes over the years-2 in one day at a Pomona event! Overall, they make a great product, but they are human, and s**t happens!

#11 ·
bowtie... thanks. your story makes me feel better then. an ya it does happen at times. it will be the end of the month before i get the install done. i'll post how it works out when its finished. its time now to go steelhead fishin' for a week.

#13 ·
i finally got the new dist installed. its a pertronix flame thrower dist with a msd blaster 2 coil.the first test run was not good. the installer said last set-up had a resistor wire on the hot lead. he lost me there. any way after that wire was changed an other test drive of 15 miles. now it runs perfect, a lot better than it did with the old dist set-up. here is some numbers, base time at 12 degrees. dist. advance total 38 degrees at 4000. advance curve 5 degrees @1000 16 degrees @1500 24 degrees @ 2500 25 degrees @ 4000. maybe this will help some one else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.