Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm goint to put a Saginaw 4 speed Trans in my 66 Nova....The trans is a 70's and it has two switches....One is for the Reveres lights next to the reverse gear ...and a Neutral saftey next to the 3/4 gear on the cover....Can I just remove the two switch's and plug the hole...Or do I have to keep them in working condition.....??...Has anyone ever come across this situation??...Thanks.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm goint to put a Saginaw 4 speed Trans in my 66 Nova....The trans is a 70's and it has two switches....One is for the Reveres lights next to the reverse gear ...and a Neutral saftey next to the 3/4 gear on the cover....Can I just remove the two switch's and plug the hole...Or do I have to keep them in working condition.....??...Has anyone ever come across this situation??...Thanks.....
You can leave them or plug the hole, you will have to loop the neutral safety wire by column for the car to start.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DD...But what do you mean by Loop..??....I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.....
Some time a dull knife hurts more... :devil:

Your car came equiped with a 3 speed on the column, with a neutral safety switch built in and wired to the column. In order to start the car it needs to be in neutral. By switching to a 4 speed sagniaw the neutral safety switch is on the transmission. So Inorder to start the car you need to tell it or trick it that the car is in neutral. You can do this 2 ways, one is the safer correct way the other is the hokey jalopy way.

Either extend your wiring from the column to the new neutral safety switch on the transmission so it functions like from the factory.

Or run a small jumper wire or loop to the original connector on the main wiring harness that goes to the old neutral safety switch. telling the ignition switch that its in neutral. The car will be able to be started in gear and potentially could be dangerous. It can be made with about 2 inches of wire and 2 spade terminals.

You can do either one if you switch to a 4 speed or auto floor shifter column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts