Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I BOUGHT A PAIR OF HEADMAN 68160 HEADERS PASSENGER SIDE FITS, WENT IN FORM THE TOP. DRIVERS SIDE PIPE HITS THE STEERING BOX RIGHT AT THE PITMAN ARM WHERE THE BIG NUT IS. COULD USE A BFH TO MAKE FIT BUT, HOW FAR CAN YOU DIPPLE/DENT A PIPE IN? ALSO, THE FLANGE ON THESE HEADERS ARE REALLY BAD. CAN I GRIND THIS FLATTER WHERE THE PIPE COMES THROUGH THE FLANG? CAN I USE MORE THE ONE GASKET OR CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE BEST GASKET TO GET IN ORDER TO GET A GOOD SEAL. ANOTHER THING, HOW CLOSE CAN A FUEL LINE RUN NEXT TO A HEADER OR EXHAUST PIPE. I'M USING -6AN BRAIDED FUEL LINE. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF DURACRYL LACQUER PAINT WITH THE CLEAR ALREADY ADDED ONE STEP PAINT WILL STICK TO AN ENGINE BLOCK AS LONG AS I SCUFF IT REAL GOOD. THANKS.:confused: :confused: :confused:

1966 SS: STUFFING IN A RAM JET 350

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I had to dent my 68160s slightly in order to make them fit with the steering box and pitman arm on my 67.

Here are some pics of the mods I had to make:

The driver's side header needed two "modifications" to fit. The dent on the left pipe is for the pitman arm. It's pretty shallow. The marks on the right show where I needed make the dent for the steering box.

Here's the post dent for the steering box pic; the dent is about 1/4" deep:

I'll be replacing the flanges on these headers as soon as I get can a fabricator to quote me a price on cutting a new set for me. I'm going to step up to 3/8" thick flanges to keep them from warping again. I bought them used and they were warped before I modded them for my purposes. Thicker gaskets would probably fix it, but I hate band-aid solutions. :D

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Flanges? Can you elaborate more on why they do not fit? They do grind off the o-ring seal using a Blanchard grinder, sometimes it's not held parallel. Fel-Pro part number 1444 is a good gasket for this header with 1 1/2" primaries. You will have to clearance as neededaround that pitman arm. We have two sets of these headers,and they are both different where clearance's had to be made. I'd shy away from trying to grind off the o-ring seals on the flanges, chances are you may never get them all "flat" which could lead to sealing problems with any gasket.And one more thing- be sure you tighten and re-tighten those header bolts after a few heat and cool cycles.It make's all the difference. Dale

·
Registered
857 Posts
As far as the flanges go I would cut them off and have your exhaust pipe fit over the header and use a band type clamp.I wish i had a pict to show what i mean but i dont.This is what i done with my 454 headers in my 69 camaro and it works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts