Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 wagon, 383 about 550 hp runs 6.50 in 1/8th at 104 mph, AJE front tied down to 2 inch of travel, powerilde trans brake 3000 chip, 513 rear gear 10 x 28 slick, cal trac bottom hole with 1/16 clearance between spring, rear sliders, Viking double shocks on rear. I cant keep it from pulling a huge wheelie off the trans brake. I have pulled timing, tied the front down to 2 inches of travel but it still pulls huge wheelies. Went from a th350 to the glide still no help. I am going to put 456 gears in it next hope that will help. Any one else have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
AJE front clip with struts is a pretty light weight setup and the wagon body is pretty heavy compared to hardtop and sedan bodies. You’re probably not short on traction with big sticky tires, and body mass weight transfer.. Can you add some weight to the front end? Land speed cars have lead bars bolted on to the chassis to keep vehicles on the ground and maintain traction on a run.. Step
down your diff gears as you already indicated.. Is your block iron or aluminum? Maybe move some existing weight around in the vehicle.. Where are your battery and fuel cell/tank located? What else do you have in the back of the car that can be moved forwards?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery and fuel cell is in the rear. I already been thinking of going with a front mounted 3 gal cell that would move about 60 or so pounds from the rear. The battery is not going to fit in the front with out a lot of frame work getting a good mounting place. Wheelie bars are out of the question as I have to fit the car on the trailer in my garage ( I would hate to have to mount and remove them every time) HOA issue. Guess I'll see how much the gear change will help Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What are the rear shocks set at? I might think of tightening the extension on the shock to slow the rate of hit to the tire to help it spin more. Or put more air in the rear tires to help them spin. Everything else you are doing between the powerglide and dropping gear is only HELPING the car deadhook. You either need to put more power to it, or make it that the car SPINS the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts