Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
awhile ago i Purchased a set of p255 60 r 15s thinking they would fit no problem...well they certainly will not fit in my wheel well :mad: I rolled the lips and i can see that the wheels are rubbing farther into the wheel well :no::no::no:

so i need a step down from them. what is the next size tire i can stuff under there with NO PROBLEMS! I like to have some nice meaty tires on the back.
:mad::mad: there goes 175 bucks in tires

·
Registered
469 Posts
a 255/60/15 will fit if you use the right offset wheel.my green car has a 15x8rim w/5" backspace and my blue car has a 15x7 w/4" backspace.i also had a 28x11.5 M/T street slick on the 15x8 wheel and it worked with no problem.check your wheel offset.good luck.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ive had 295's on my nova with 4.5bs before and i did knotch the lip but they worked for 12 years and lots of driving that way, better check your wheel bs.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,087 Posts
Like the others have said it is your rims not your tires that are not fitting.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I am running 15x8" with 4.5" backspacing and BFGoodrich Radial TAs in a 255/60/15. It sounds as if it is rubbing inside, which would indicate TOO MUCH backspacing. Do the tires rub on the fender lip?

Tiny

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked the wheel and the best i could get was 3.5 bs

I will probably just get some new rims later on anyways (they only cost 100 bucks)

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
That's what I run too, 255/60-15's on a 15x8 rim with 5 inches backspacing. The car is lowered 1.5 inches in the rear, the wheel well lips are not rolled, and they don't rub anywhere.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just put 275/60/15's on my 70. The rims are 15 x 8 rally's w/ 5.5 in bs. I needed a 1/4 in spacer (and longer studs) on each side but they don't rub. The inner fenders were trimmed before. I've been lagging but I'll post picks soon.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
255/60/15 on an 8" rim with 4.5" backset. They will rub the inner fender well a little bit if there is someone in the backseat or if I hit a dip in the road. If you go with a 7" rim I don't think you will have that. 5" backset would be really close on the shocks on mine - so measure well if you go that route....

·
Registered
295 Posts
It will also depend on the width of your rearend. This will create a problem where one offset wheel will fit one car but not another. It is always assumed that Camaro rearends are the same but they are not in some cases. Some times they are and inch wider than the Nova rearends which will put that tire a half inch closer to the wheelwell on each side, sometimes thats all it takes to have a rub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts