Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m hopeing some of you running a sb 400 can give me some good advice. I recently purchased a sbc 400 for my 72 nova project. It is a stock rebuilt motor. It has about 5,000 miles since rebuild then the transmission went out of the truck it was in. I plan on keeping the stock bottom end, and keeping the rpms no higher than 5,500. The cam i want needs stump pulling torque yet pull hard to 5,500. Also should i run the stock 882 heads? I have a set edelbrock rpm heads that have been ported that i bought off a member from here. They are 70cc chambers. The tech at lunati thought that i would not gain much running these heads beings i am limiting rpms to 5,500, Is he right? Thanks alot in advance.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=87&sb=1
I have a 400 with a cam similar to this. I can't find my exact specs. It does have the stump pulling torque and is about done by 5500. Since putting on 64cc heads and a performer rpm intake it will pull to 6500 pretty good. Probably not the best choice for all out performance but it makes for a fun street car. BTW did I buy a hood from you a couple of years ago?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
stock bottom end

i'd put the heads on there. I bought a book last year with a very mild build of a 406 in it , stock vortec heads ,,, 9-1 , Lunati [email protected], 480 lift on a 114 LSA , it made 525 lbs of torque and 427 hp all before 5200rpm

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am no expert but if 882's can match the performance of performer RPM heads than I am gonna have some fast motors.Even with the 5500 RPM limit the edelbrocks are way better.

I would look at the RPM range of your intake.Try using a cam that has the same or similar RPM range.A stock 400 with 76cc heads doesn't have much compression.

I am helping a buddy build a 410 inch sbc.(400 bored .060)We are using a cam with 220 duration @ .050.It has .468 on the lift and should make ALOT of torque.He is also using 882's.

The first thing I see wrong with that setup is the 882's.I don't like those heads and never will.I know there the best of the worst.But there still the worst.

Good luck.....

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Use the Edelbrock heads, and that Lunati mentioned is an excellent, if slightly outdated piece. That's the cam Dale had in his 66 that almost squeaked into the 11's with 3.08 gears on a 235 radial. He had a GM dual plane like a Performer RPM w/770 Street Avenger carb on Bowtie Vortec heads, 1-1/2" headers into dual 2-1/4" exhaust--That combo WORKED! No big converter, no steep gears, no big exhaust, just a bunch of low rpm grunt that made that thing scoot.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You will get the ultimate power by talking direct to the Camshaft folks.
I highly recommend Bullet / Ultradyne Cams : http://www.bulletcams.com/

And those 882 heads are like running around with a straw in your mouth to breath through....the Edelbrock heads that you have are far superior and should be used, no question.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Yea PM camgrinder. Even if you don't buy a cam from him(which I strongly recommend) he'll help you choose one for your combo. I had a 268 duration cam from John that kicked a$$in my 383.

And yes junk the 882's.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Again junk the 882's. I have a 355 with the rpm heads on it and it runs great. With that stock bottom end i would try and stay with a cam thats around 230-236 deg. Of duration @.50. This will help pull the motor to that 5500 mark and keep the tq numbers your after.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As for the heads, everyone else is correct, use the Edelbrock heads!!

For the cam, the Voodoo 60104 would be SWEET. :yes:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
why just 5500 though ?

hmm ,, i guess its a good safe rpm limit ,,, if its going in a street car ,,, how many times and how often are you gonna crank it that hard ??? Sometimes i think that gets forgotten in the deal. I've saw some 383's with stock 400 cranks turned down and 400 rods go to 6500 and never have any problems. Nothing worse than doing a cam swap and not like how it runs or sounds after.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your help. Levisnteeshirt I thought 5500 was all you could squeze out of a stock 400 with the short rods, Im all for cranking it higher just don't want to have to build another engine for it right away.It is going in a street car but is also going to see weekends at the track quite a bit. It also has 3.42 gears if that helps any. Everyone else feel free to chime in I want to get the most out of it I can. Thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. Levisnteeshirt I thought 5500 was all you could squeze out of a stock 400 with the short rods, Im all for cranking it higher just don't want to have to build another engine for it right away.It is going in a street car but is also going to see weekends at the track quite a bit. It also has 3.42 gears if that helps any. Everyone else feel free to chime in I want to get the most out of it I can. Thanks
Just remember most cams advertised power ranges are based on 350 cid. So a cam that's advertised for example 2500-6500 will be more like 2200-6000 in a 400.:yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts