Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have followed this website for years but never posted. I am reaching out because I'm stumped. I have a 1966 Acadian Canso which is the canadian version of the Chevy 2 Nova.

I'll try and keep this straight to the point.

I have a rubbing issue with my front tires when turning sharp and hitting a bump. I did everything I thought correct after countless research before buying.

Here's the set up.
-Stock front end with just installed CPP 2" drop spindle/disc brake kit
-15x6 ET Team 3 Classic V wheels with 4" backspace.
-BFG 195/60R15 tires

After I did this, the front end was slammed, so I replaced the old 6 cylinder springs with a new set of CPP's. It brought the front end up a bit but still rubs when turning hard and hitting a bump/ going up hill (my driveway)

I have sampled 185/65R15 as well and 185/60R15 and even 185/55R15's. All still have this problem although they are better. Don't really want the 50 or 55 series sidewalls.

I really wanted to stick with the same tires all the way around as I'm using BFG Drag Radial's in the back.

I am stumped.

I am now considering the following:

-CPP makes a spring that is the same but has HD in the model number, I'm thinking these are heavy duty for something like a big block, my car is a small block. Thought this might raise the front end enough.

-Coilover conversion kit??? Can this just drop right in without replacing upper & lower control arms? Which one is the easiest drop in.

-Didn't really want to go to a cheese cutter 175 or 165 tire, if I did, is there a tire that would match up with the BFG Drag Radial you could recommend.

Hoping to not pull the drop spindles, I like the look.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't get anymore backspace than 4" on a 6" rim. I have as much offset you can get, I researched that as a main topic before commiting the these wheels which were like $400 each. I called the company to verify more offspace, not doable.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I had the same issue years ago and the solution then was a 15x5
Wheel with a 185-60-15. No rubbing issues at all after that

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's rubbing pretty well in the center, It literally grabs the wheel moulding trim.

I hate to admit thus but I've even trimmed the inner upper fender lip in the middle as well as set the camber differently to compensate, no luck.

15x5 may be an option but means replacing these rims, and what about front tires? who makes a tire that would be a good match to my Drag Radials.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
You can't get anymore backspace than 4" on a 6" rim. I have as much offset you can get, I researched that as a main topic before commiting the these wheels which were like $400 each. I called the company to verify more offspace, not doable.
I have 4 3/8 back space on my 14x6 rallys....no rubbing...they are out there...rally code yw or xb....look on ebay...
here is a set of 4....$199
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-CAMARO-CHEVELLE-OLD-STYLE-RALLY-WHEELS-YW-CODE-14X6-/271051725511?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1bf11ac7&vxp=mtr

here is my 14x6 with 205/70/14...no rubbing...stock 1st gen

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
also...you can have a company like davids rally wheels make you any offset you want.....american racing,billet specialties,budnik all do custom backspacing....call them

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Team 3 Wheels who is formerly ET wheels is who I bought these from and they do custom offset's as well, but they assured me when i called back that 4" is the max on a 6" wheel. I will call for the third time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts