Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a 74 nova built a 383 and down to buying headers problem is I have afr 210 angle plug heads and the exhaust ports are raised. Called hooker they couldn’t help me neither could summit. Anyone out there got a 68-74 nova they got these heads and longtube headers? Your help is greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Dynatec has or had a great header for your car. I think sbc1320 on here has run them on a few of his 3rd gen nova’s.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dynatec has or had a great header for your car. I think sbc1320 on here has run them on a few of his 3rd gen nova’s.
I just called hooker and summit so far gonna call Doug’s and dynatech tomorow I know lemons headers could fab something up but that’s like 1500 bucks haha if it come down to it that’s what’s going to end up happening

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,388 Posts
sbc1320 recently indicated that Dynatech dropped the line for Gen I sbc's and if you search you will only see them offered for the LS. Hedman is an option and I heard some good things with Doug's angle plug headers.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Yeap no more Dynatechs for the Gen. I small block.

Hedman Husler's will fit these and the Hooker Super Competition will also. Will have to ding the Hooker's a little(not by much) at the power steering box is all.

First picture is Dynatech and the second picture is the Husler's before I took them off for coating.

Hooker Super Comps fit too with no problems fitting the head so don't go by whatever they say, it's not an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
I can't speak to the fit to the chassis but will advise you to lay whatever exhaust gasket AFR recommends on the header and check the fit.Both my Doug's and Hooker headers had ports far too narrow for my AFR 195's.Height was fine but encroached into port on the head approx a 100 thou on both sides.The interference was bad enough I was concerned about gasket failure and heat build up.I flared out the edges in the header flange with a die grinder but there isn't a lot of meat so be careful.I had to build up a bit of weld and flat file it on a couple holes with the Doug's to ensure the gasket sealing surface was adequate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeap no more Dynatechs for the Gen. I small block.

Hedman Husler's will fit these and the Hooker Super Competition will also. Will have to ding the Hooker's a little(not by much) at the power steering box is all.

First picture is Dynatech and the second picture is the Husler's before I took them off for coating

Hooker Super Comps fit too with no problems fitting the head so don't go by whatever they say, it's not an issue.
Thank you for your help just ordered the huslers. Hopefully they fit the chassis we will see

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Thank you for your help just ordered the huslers. Hopefully they fit the chassis we will see
Yes Sir, let us all know how it works out. Too bad on the Dynatech, haven't found a header that is as well made as Dynatech's were.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The Dynatechs seem to fit our Novas ok but they absolutely sucked on my sons BU!:yes:
Grinder and a BFH comes to mind!
This was on my lift too!
Lower control arms come to mind and some other points of contact.
This is the 1-3/4 to 1-7/8" which didn't help.:no:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Sir, let us all know how it works out. Too bad on the Dynatech, haven't found a header that is as well made as Dynatech's were.
I got them today all plugs clear no problem chassis is a wait and see I think only problem could be is the power steering box but not to worried if I gotta change it I will. But one problem I notice is the ports slightly hang into the two center exhaust ports very so slightly. But I did more research and I read something on a guy that had same problem and sent email to afr and afr said there is no off the shelf header that is going to fit those ports perfectly. They said it’s just the way their port design is and custom headers are the only way really to get the right headers fitted to those ports. So just gonna invest in some lemons race headers down the road but these will for sure get me by for a while

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
I got them today all plugs clear no problem chassis is a wait and see I think only problem could be is the power steering box but not to worried if I gotta change it I will. But one problem I notice is the ports slightly hang into the two center exhaust ports very so slightly. But I did more research and I read something on a guy that had same problem and sent email to afr and afr said there is no off the shelf header that is going to fit those ports perfectly. They said it’s just the way their port design is and custom headers are the only way really to get the right headers fitted to those ports. So just gonna invest in some lemons race headers down the road but these will for sure get me by for a while
You may or may not have pry an indention into it at the steering box. I only use FelPro blue gaskets and I always check on head and header. No leaks on mine when I used them. The Hooker Super Comps work too, but they do need clearancing at the power steering box.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may or may not have pry an indention into it at the steering box. I only use FelPro blue gaskets and I always check on head and header. No leaks on mine when I used them. The Hooker Super Comps work too, but they do need clearancing at the power steering box.
Did your ports on your headman huslers line up with the afr head Ports mine are off at the centers ports a little not whole lot but enough to notice a little . But yeah I’m going to ru the exhaust gaskets afr recommends

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,388 Posts
2 days ago I installed some Patriot H8047-1 headers on my engine while it is still on the run stand. I don't know all the little differences between the various angle plug heads but I'm running EQ heads with angle plugs and the Patriots had plenty of room with standard length plugs. I will be mocking up the engine in the car again in a few weeks to check the car fit. I'm not to worried as they have already been proven to fit my '72 it was just the heads that were my problem.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts