Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to my friend's house and we were going to pull the motor out of his Camaro when we ran into an issue. We have no idea how to get the headers off of the heads. Two of the primary tubes on both sides have a bolt next to them that we have no idea how to remove. The tubes leave the heads and immediately bend back so they are right next to the bolt and almost directly over the bolts. There are two like this on each side so I can't remove all but one bolt and turn the heads because there are two on each side. Any advice to remove these would be greatly appricated. They are internal allen heads.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Can you try and get a pic of it? The headers I took off my old car had a header tube that was right next to the bolt and bended back almost over it. It was a standard hex head so I was able to just use an open end and when I started to turn it out with all the other bolts already out the header came with it. If you're dealing with an allen head bolt I would just try getting out with some pliers. I'm not even gonna try to imagine what pliers to use. I'll leave that up to you guys.

And if all else fails can always just try and pop the head off the bolt with an air chisel.:devil:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You might have to cut down the end of an allen wrench to where the bend would just be outside the head of the bolt. Does it look like somone has put anything on the outside of the bolt like pliers? If so, you might have to grip the outside of the head and turn it that way.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't look like anyone has used pliers. I'll get a pic when I go over there tonight, I just have no idea how they got them installed because there is no room for the bolt to even come out, it will end up hitting the runner once it starts to come out. We can't even get the allen wrench inside of the head to turn it so we will have to give the pliers a go. I just really hope we don't have to cut the heads off because we don't really feel like having to extract the broken bolt that would result from doing that.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
there is no room for the bolt to even come out
As you loosen the bolts, the flange will pull away from the cylinder head; it won't matter if the bolt is close to the bend-just keep pulling the header away from the head until it comes off.
If the bolt went in, it has to come out.
Sometimes you have to be a little smarter than the part you are working on.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
These bolts will be the last to be undone, as they will need the header to back away from the head as they unthread, as mentioned above!:yes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We didn't think about that lol. We'll be able to tackle this tonight now. Thank's for the info.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the motor pulled out last night. We had to take an allen wrench and cut about 1/4" off of it and that was able to get in there to them.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Got the motor pulled out last night. We had to take an allen wrench and cut about 1/4" off of it and that was able to get in there to them.
Thats what I did...I cut about 1/4 off the allen head and welded a longer handle on it.....worked great.Keep that tool in your tool box.bm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts