Chevy Nova Forum banner

need help with 63' cowl tag

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  skrymir 
#1 ·
ok so i went on novaresource to decode the cowl tag for my 63 i was able to decode most of it but for the paint it says 938-6, the 938 is adobe beige but what is the 6? is it the roof color and if so what is it? and for acc. there is a f and i cant seem to find anything on that

Untitled by troyscars67, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
The 'F' is tinted windshield. The numbers before and after trim and paint codes are somewhat of a mystery. It's believed they are internal plant codes that had meaning to Fisher Body workers IE' type of seats, color of wheels, etc. The codes frequently differed from plant to plant.

Bob

#3 ·
On the Norwood cars, the #-### for trim breaks down like this. The first # before the dash is the interior paint code.

2 is Dark Blue
3 is Dark Aqua
4 is Dark Fawn
5 is Medium Red
7 is black
8 is medium saddle

For some reason 1 and 6 are colors that were not used.

So you have Medium Red interior paint with a Red Cloth/Vinyl Bench.

As far as the number after the paint code, I am still working on it. I have a theory that it may be the date the tag was stamped or the date the car was supposed to be off the assembly line. The numbers range from 1-31 and most of them seem to be about 1 week after the build week, except yours doesn't seem to fit that pattern.

#4 ·
ok so far everything seems to match, one more question, is it possible to have a white headliner with everything else in the interior red, or is the headliner supposed to be red? everything on the car truly looks untouched, just curious

#5 ·
I am not sure about the headliner colors. I never really paid attention when I was taking all the data. I know that my 63 was a fawn interior with a white headliner.

Would it be ok for me to add your info to my database, If so could you PM me the vin number. I am making Build Date/Vin # range spreadsheet, so we can pick out which cars have incorrect(someone swapped) cowl tags. I dont have a car from that month/week at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.