Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a tach and i would like to see how people wired theirs up. I am running a MSD Chevy V8 w/Internal Module Distributor PN 8360 along with a Blaster SS Coil, PN 8207.

The distributor has a little gray wire coming out of it and that is the "tach input wire" But i don't know what that goes too. I tried running that wire to the tach green wire but my engine wouldn't start ( wouldn't crank over) So i quickly unplugged that.

It says on the Tach instructions to not hook up the green wire to MSD coils directly so i was wondering how i can wire my tach without getting an MSD box? (if there is a way)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
From what I remember mine had a red, orange and black. Red to positive on coil, orange to negative on coil and black to good engine ground. If you have a resistor wire remove it and wire a 12 volt ignition source to the positve on the coil, put your instrument tach wire on the negative coil terminal. It should fire right up and the tach should read fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled it for a while and didnt find an answer. Most of the people are running an MSD ignition box along with the coil and dist and that box has a tac output on it specially for tachs. Also ^ it says directly on the instructions that if you attach the green wire to the negative on MSD coil it will void the warranty. Not that i care much about the warranty because i got the tach for free, but i dont want to ruin it.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Red = key on power supply

• Black = common chassis ground

• White = dash lighting power

• Yellow = used only on Internal Coil Magneto tachometers as the signal wire

• Green = tachometer signal for standard or electronic ignitions
negative side of ign coil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i suppose you didnt read the whole way through the post ^ You cannot attach the green tach wire to the negative side of the coil on an MSD blaster because it is too powerful and might ruin the tach. And voids warranty.

I am going to just have to bite the bullet and get an MSD ignition. I was thinking digital 6 or the new programmable 6AL-2 which you plug into a computer and program it. kinda cool so i might go with that one. for about 60$ more.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
i suppose you didnt read the whole way through the post ^ You cannot attach the green tach wire to the negative side of the coil on an MSD blaster because it is too powerful and might ruin the tach. And voids warranty.

I am going to just have to bite the bullet and get an MSD ignition. I was thinking digital 6 or the new programmable 6AL-2 which you plug into a computer and program it. kinda cool so i might go with that one. for about 60$ more.
It will work fine with msd coil,to each his own,sounds like you want the box with the sercet tach wiring coming out of it for the cool factor............:eek:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its not really the cool factor but i just dont want to fry the tach if the coil is too powerful. I heard they can damage the tach because of the power. Anyways, im going to pick up a used MSD digital 6 plus ignition box tomorrow for 120 so that will do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Let me know how you like that MSD box because I am considering the same set up for mine. I will be swapping over to a 350 from the V6 and figured that would be a great ignition for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts