Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got my 230 inline 6 rebuilt and installed in my 66 wagon. Ran good for 5-10 miles and then died. 5 minutes later started and made it home running rough. Replaced fuel filter and mechanical pump. Ran good this morning for 10-12 miles and same thing it just died. I noticed bubbles in the clear fuel filter. I took the outlet hose from the fuel pump off and I did get air. Reinstalled and ran great for another 10-15 miles until it died again. Wagon has all new gas lines, new mechanical fuel pump, new gas tank and new sending unit. I have spent the last two hours reading the archives and it seems everyone else had old rusty gas, or tanks with this issue. I replaced all of that while the motor was being rebuilt (minus the fuel pump fpr some odd reason). Any suggestions?

thanks,
first post!
Justin

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Re: vapor lock

I had the same problem installed some insulated pipe wrap on the fuel line from the carb and ran it about a foot or so also installed a heat shield gasket under the carb problem solved. Good luck worked for me.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Well did you or did you not replace the fuel pump as I can't tell from your post. The old points distributors, some people think if the points look good, everything is fine. The reality is the condenser (capacitor) will bleed off over time causing it's micro farred value to change. When this happens the points no longer have the ability to break the circuit at the proper time because the arc created is no longer under control. Well, enough ramble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the original rebuid I did not replace the fuel pump. I did replace it last week when I started having issues. Sorry for the confusion. I have looked and Grainger has the Phenolic "stuff" so I can make an insulator spacer under the carburetor. Hopefully that will work.

Justin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wagon has been sitting all day and I wanted to see how much fuel would come through the clear filter. After several attempts to start I got a small cap full of black liquid from the exhaust pipe on the concrete. I can literally watch the fuel drip into the clear filter, not much pressure. I did not give car time to warm up but I know it's not getting enough fuel. Should I pull the new sending unit and make sure it's not clogged up? Tank is new as well. Less that 20 gallons through it. Car smells like its flooded but I don't think it'd getting enough fuel to flood it.

Justin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bubbles in the fuel sounds like you have a leak in the line somewhere between the tank and pump. Check each fitting with soap bubble while engine is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts