Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got to work, went to leave on my first run and the nova wouldnt start.

turn the key and nothing happens, cant turn on the lights, wipers, radio, anything, when the key is in any possition i dont get anything

checked the batt have 12.8 volts (optima red top)
jumped the starter, it turns fine and fires the motor up but then it dies

last time i burnt up a coil it did this but i still had power to everything else so i think it may be in the ignition switch, i pulled the switch out and sanded the back to make sure it has a good ground and still nothing
checked all my battery conections, coil connections, under the cap,

HELP please, i dont want to stay at work

(63 nova, 194 six, hei)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
You may want to check that the firewall plug (in the engine bay) for the lighting harness isn't loose. Try pushing on it to reseat it and try starting the car again.

I've had this happen on my 67 in the past and came across it by accident one night out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yattzee!

Thanks Rex. that was it, it looked ok, but must have been just a bit out....this is one of the only times im happy to get back to work....i like the nova a lot better than the nogo.

if youre ever in my neck of the woods, let me know i owe you a beer.......

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
I've been caught by that problem myself. On a pitch black country road in my Nova right when I got it cruising with my 10 yr old mechanic son the car just quit dead like absolutely no power at all. All he kept saying was, "When are you gonna call for a tow?" and that was all I needed to keep trying. Got very lucky and figured it out in about 10 minutes. After I got home I cleaned and re-bent all the connectors in those 2 plugs and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
sLOW63 said:
Thanks Rex. that was it, it looked ok, but must have been just a bit out....this is one of the only times im happy to get back to work....i like the nova a lot better than the nogo.

if youre ever in my neck of the woods, let me know i owe you a beer.......
Glad to see you're mobile again. When I'm down in SoCal again, you'll be on my look-up list. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts