Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a pic of my challenge. The view is from behind the tranny, looking at the driver-side where the mid-length header follows the sub-frame and the ball&socket (type) connection has a 4" piece of straight pipe (temporarily) bolted in place. I need to make that 45 degree bend in place of the 4"straight connection because as we go back to the tranny cross member there are cutouts for the exhaust and I'd like the elevation profile of the exhaust to follow the sub-frame as closely as possible. As it is, the end of the header collector tip comes right down to the top of where the sub-frame completes the bend and goes straight back. Ideally, I'm hoping to find a resource for either a 45 degree elbow that connects directly onto the header with a 3" OD end for my exhaust to connect, or I'll have to go with a 3" ID 45 degree elbow and add a 3" OD coupler to provide a connection for the rest of the exhaust. Has anyone else dealt with this and has ideas?

Exhaust Connection.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi RailRoader,

Thank you for that tip! I have emailed them with my wish and have my fingers crossed for a positive, ideal solution. With few exceptions, everything you see that is red or black in my pics are powder coated. Except for the headers, all the aluminum/silver color is natural finish. In this image with the truck intake visible, that was spray painted. The color is called "Jolly Rancher Red". In an attempt to duplicate it with spray paint, I used Dupli-Color Silver as a base, then Metalcast Red Anodized Red over the silver, and finish with clear. That wire loom had ended up with too many wire with brittle, cracked insulation and a replacement arrived yesterday. Will try to fire it later today
Motor and Tran.JPG

·
Registered
418 Posts
Powdercoated, that explains why it looks so good. Really nice. Hope you get good results on your email. Let me know. Interested on their response.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Powdercoated, that explains why it looks so good. Really nice. Hope you get good results on your email. Let me know. Interested on their response.
Thanks for the comments on the paint finish. For this project, I'm nowhere close to being the mechanical engineer but I don't mind scraping knuckles and sliding under the car on a creeper to do things which don't require the technical knowledge. It's my friend who is the certified mechanic for the City of Dallas who is driving this. I provided the car and my wallet. This was supposed to simply be a LS swap instead of trying to gain additional 150+ HP from the stock 307. It evolved into much more with almost an entire tear-down and sending parts off to my friends cousin's shop in Houston for the powder coating. I have original control arms that look brand new which are powder-coated black and I won't need because I got tubular replacements. Other items as well, including a front bench seat in good shape that can be re-used if anyone is doing an all-original restore.

I have received an initial response to my email from Mandrel Bends (https://gbemandrel.com) and the guy seems willing to see if he can do what I'm asking. So I made a rough drawing of what I'm ideally hoping can be done. One of the biggest concerns is making that bend while preserving the 3" OD integrity of the pipe so the collar I need for the clamp to the header collector will slip around the bend. Attached is the drawing I sent. Would think this is not a unique or uncommon request and am surprised to not have an off-the-shelf remedy for this. What am I missing or overlooking in this? The only thing I can think of is if I have the exhaust pipes running too high in elevation with the sub-frame, they will interfere with sub-frame connectors. If that is true, why are there half-moon cutouts in the tranny cross-member to accommodate full-length headers running along that sub-frame elevation?

Exhaust Connector Drawing.JPG

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would think the cut-outs is for the exhaust to pass through the trans cross member. If you can do a mock up of tailpipe running through the cutout like you want and on past the connectors to see if the connector is going to come into play.
Regarding the clamp issue. Here is couple of websites showing the Band Clamp and V-Clamp. Either would eliminate the potential problem of getting clamp around the bend. However it would require welding part of the clamp on your headers and the connecting part on your tailpipe. I'm going to use the V-Clamp on my new headers, when they finally get shipped. Been 7 weeks and waiting

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts
Stupid question, but is there an exhaust/muffler shop near you? I think if you brought them that drawing or a template of the bend in the subframe, they could bend one for you without a tweak in it that might be just what you want. Is it the galvanizing on the part or the material of the pipe?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding the clamp issue. Here is couple of websites showing the Band Clamp and V-Clamp. Either would eliminate the potential problem of getting clamp around the bend. However it would require welding part of the clamp on your headers and the connecting part on your tailpipe. I'm going to use the V-Clamp on my new headers, when they finally get shipped. Been 7 weeks and waiting

HOLY FRIJOLES, RailRoader!!! The V-Band clamps look like a great solution if all we need to do is weld the inner rings on the 45 degree mandrel and the end of the header collector. It's funny cuz I just finished having to replace a V-Band clamp on my Hayward swimming pool system where the pump impeller housing mates with the collector housing from the drain and skimmer intake lines.They are the exact, same design. I will talk to my local muffler shop about this. Also, after my last post I realize I hadn't thought it through on the sub-frame connectors. All of the exhaust will fit between the sub-frame and connectors so that was a silly, greenhorn concern. Thank you for sharing this knowledge. Hat-tip to you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stupid question, but is there an exhaust/muffler shop near you? I think if you brought them that drawing or a template of the bend in the subframe, they could bend one for you without a tweak in it that might be just what you want. Is it the galvanizing on the part or the material of the pipe?
Indeed, Ally, I have been asking around and have yet to find a resource. Certainly you'd think there is someone in the DFW metro. I just havn't connected with the right path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts