Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up dudes!
I bought my Nova on Dec. 10 the previous owner did had the time to install the rear quarter panels. I have no knowledge on body work :S - I went to a custom fabrication shop and the guy charges me $700!!
Is there a place that I can get a good job done with out wasting that kind of ********$!!:bored:!? I have the new quarter panels purchased from Classic Industries
I am located in San Diego, CA - please let me know. I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
pannel work

i have the same problem but i am trying to get my problem fixed cheaper . i have asked body shops how much and the end results were way over my budget . i need rear wheel wells and one 1/4 pannel installed and a few dents caused from storage in the wrong area ! my next thing i am trying is ( if you don't mind waiting) is to have a school do the work all you pay for is parts and products used . kids have to have a place to learn and all work is inspected before the car is returned to you

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree with the guy earlier, $700 is pretty cheap for that. I'd guess the going rate would be $1000-1500 a piece to replace quarters......

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
That is cheap for 1/4's. Not sure what you mean by wasting money...it
takes time to correctly install 1/4's. Most of these pieces needs work
to fit properly, they don't just fall into place.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Its at least a 10-15hour job ea side. That's just installing not painting or inner wheel wells or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
If you had ever done a full quarter, you'd know that's cheap. Body men don't charge to rip off, It's damn dirty hard work.:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So 700 is cheap? The guy knows his stuff but still 700 is off my budget. Why can't I make more money!! :mad:
I also went to a Earl Scheib Auto Paint and they charge me 1400 for the panels, and 1000 for paint. So I better start saving those soda cans!
Thanks guys :cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i hung both sides full quarters. if i could have found someone to do it for 700.00 each side 1400.00 total . id run to them in a heartbeat.. it took me forever to get them right. i had never done that big of a job before but now i know i can do it. you can too. look around this site do a lot of research . ask questions here . thats what its all about nova owners helping each other..:beer1:

·
Registered
36 Posts
its too bad you dont know anyone (friend) who does body work and can show you while you help and learn. I did both mine and tail light panel with a friend who knew how and I learned alot ...good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Body panel

Find a body man who will do it on the side at your place if you have a garage and 220volt. i took my 72 to a guy who did it on the side had it for a month but he was cheap and did a good job. 2 full quarters, outer wheel houses, both door skins, repaired the bottom of the 1 door, hung new fenders, replace panel under back window,seam sealed all the welds that needed to be, undercoated the quarters and repaired my hood. And also patched 2 small holes in my trunk......

All for 2600.00 Canadian.... Now that is a deal. Cash deal of course.

Check kijji or craigslist. that is what I did.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
$700 is a reasonable price, but I can understand if it's not in your budget.
Keep in mind that you at least need a good mig welder and a bunch of other tools and welding thin sheet metal takes a lot of practice.
Check with you local junior college and see if they offer a body class you can take or a lot of them will have students that can do the work. (As mentioned in one of the other posts)

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
$700 IS DAMN GOOD IMO, I DID MY OWN QUARTERS IN 04-05 :confused: AND I HAD NEVER DID THEM BEFORE I HAD HELPED SOMEONE BEFORE BUT NEVER MY OWN BY MYSELF. BUT I HAD A LITTLE COACHING FROM A FRIEND I GREW UP WITH, HE HAS A SHOP AND HE WANTED TO CHARGE ME $800 A SIDE AND I WAS LIKE :eek: :eek: @#$%^ THAT I SAID.....
KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW, HOW HARD I WAS PUTTING IT ON PULLING IT OFF TEST FIT HERE AND THERE. LINING EVERYTHING UP SPOT WELDING TACKING UGGGH IT'S ENDLESS. PAY THAT MAN $700 AND BE DONE WITH IT.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
$700 will buy a pretty good mig welder. All you need then is PPB
Patience
Persistence
and
:beer1::beer1::beer1::beer1::beer1::beer1::beer1:

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Hey thanks alot guys, been off the site for a while.
But guess what, I got a the quarter panels on...for $300!!!!
they are straight and the Nova finally looks complete! now i need to sand it down and put on some paint!

·
Registered
25 Posts
good deal. im having quarters,wheel houses,trunk drop offs and taillight panel put on my car now for 700.00 which is a steal but the guy doing it is a buddy of mine and i help him with his race car and have gave him parts for it etc so its a scratch my back ill scratch your kinda deal which is why i love this hobby so much lol alot of good people out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good deal. im having quarters,wheel houses,trunk drop offs and taillight panel put on my car now for 700.00 which is a steal but the guy doing it is a buddy of mine and i help him with his race car and have gave him parts for it etc so its a scratch my back ill scratch your kinda deal which is why i love this hobby so much lol alot of good people out there.
that's awesome bro, that's a good price too. It's cool how everyone helps out - this site rocks! That's a problem that I have though, theres no Novas where I live - all by myself :bored: Don't have friends like that, I have a friend that is the ***** on fabrication but he only works on offroad stuff...

where's the South San Diego Novas???!!!!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
my buddy has a 73 challenger that i help him with at the track from time to time but my cousin has 2 novas and alot of parts he sells me cheap so that helps lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts