Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time doing engine work and Ive bought and installed a rebuild kit for my single barrel Rochester BC (or BV?). I am trying to make all the right adjustments before I bolt it back onto the manifold and I am unclear on a few things.

What are the things that should be done to the carb at this point before bolting it back down to the manifold hooking it up and turning the key?

Here are some pics of the rebuilt carb

I have both instructions from the kit and the shop manual details and Im seeing that I dont have the right feeler gauge set for the adjustments I will need to do. Looks like tools J-21216 and J6838 are needed to get thicker gaps set.

Here is the set I have, is there a set that anyone could recommend?

The vacuum break adjustment questions:
  1. Are all three steps in the instructions supposed to be done simultaneously?
  2. Am I supposed to be pushing the diaphragm plunger in while I am closing the choke valve while I am also setting a gap of 9/64"(since its an auto transmission) between the lower edge of choke valve and the wall of the air horn...all while making sure the choke rod is at the end of the slot?

Here are the instructions that came with the kit

And also the shop manual pages

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1st time doing engine work and Ive bought and installed a rebuild kit for my single barrel Rochester BC (or BV?). I am trying to make all the right adjustments before I bolt it back onto the manifold and I am unclear on a few things.

What are the things that should be done to the carb at this point before bolting it back down to the manifold hooking it up and turning the key?

I have both instructions from the kit and the shop manual details and Im seeing that I dont have the right feeler gauge set for the adjustments I will need to do. Looks like tools J-21216 and J6838 are needed to get thicker gaps set.

Here is the set I have, is there a set that anyone could recommend?

The vacuum break adjustment questions:
  1. Are all three steps in the instructions supposed to be done simultaneously?
  2. Am I supposed to be pushing the diaphragm plunger in while I am closing the choke valve while I am also setting a gap of 9/64"(since its an auto transmission) between the lower edge of choke valve and the wall of the air horn...all while making sure the choke rod is at the end of the slot?

Here are the instructions that came with the kit

Any help would be much appreciated.
I just finished doing the same job... All adjustments should be done on the bench, this way access is easy and you don't have to worry about dropping anything down into the intake.

You will have to do two of the three steps in the vaccuum brake at once. You must use a vacuum source to actuate the plunger (simulates engine vacuum). Best way to do this if you don't have a mechanics vacuum pump is to use a length of hose and suck on it to close the diaphram (backyard, but it works). Use some drill bits instead of the feeler guages, these are common sizes in most sets. bend rod slightly to adjust and repeat the first two steps to check measurement.

Hope this helps..now if I could just find the base setting for the fuel/air mixture screw I'd be set.

·
Registered
438 Posts
A drill bit is an excellent idea, way to break out the old ingenuity!

You could also stack your feeler gauges, i.e. .035+.032= .067
I realize that's a lot of feeler gauges to reach .141 or 9/64, so I gotta say I'm lovin the drill bit idea.

·
Registered
461 Posts
1st time doing engine work and Ive bought and installed a rebuild kit for my single barrel Rochester BC (or BV?).
Just wondering but do the instructions to adjust the carb come with the rebuild kit? My carb has a leak and I'm debating between rebuilding the stock 1 barrel or go for an adapter 2 barrel set-up. Never rebuilt a carb although I have adjusted them and dismantled them. How hard is it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just wondering but do the instructions to adjust the carb come with the rebuild kit? My carb has a leak and I'm debating between rebuilding the stock 1 barrel or go for an adapter 2 barrel set-up. Never rebuilt a carb although I have adjusted them and dismantled them. How hard is it?
All adjustment specs are included on the build sheet in the kit.. You're gonna want what's called a "jiffy-kit".

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, thanks fellas for the pointers..drill bits a great one.:)

Second to Robs question, the instructions that came with the kit I have posted in the thread above. They are kinda hard to read so if you want me to send you high res images to look through I can, pm me if you need that. They do have adjustments noted to the float drop, idle needle, and vacuum break.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A drill bit is an excellent idea, way to break out the old ingenuity!

You could also stack your feeler gauges, i.e. .035+.032= .067
I realize that's a lot of feeler gauges to reach .141 or 9/64, so I gotta say I'm lovin the drill bit idea.

Yeah, I thought a few would like that one. True "Canadian" ingenuity at its best. <jab, wink> Just kidding. I was here late one night building my carb and didn't have any large feeler guages..started to scratch my head trying to think of what I colud use when I had the idea that those sizes were probably in the set of bits on the shelf...The rest is history. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts