Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I recently installed an all new MSD 6al ignition system on my car. I also put an msd ready to run distributor on it aswell, Which has the mechanical and the vacuum advance on it. When i Put the new distributor it I reset the timing to 0. then not realizing what the mechanical advance and vacuum advance really is I set it back to 40 degrees at idle (800-1000 rpm). Once I started driving it I realized she was running extremely rich (checked Spark plugs for proof). after some calling around for advice and some research I figure out its because of all this advance crap, And from word of mouth from my fellow hotrodders I need to set the Idle timing to around 14, that way when I'm on the throttle around 4k-6k rpm it'll be at around 40 degrees.

So here's the problem. When I try to set the timing that low it just kills the car. I can get it to about 28ish, then she dies. I have one friend saying i need to down my Jets 2 sizes. another saying don't mess with the fuel until you get the timing straightened out or else you'll just be chasing one or the other.

Someone with some sense Please help me! Am I going about this totally wrong? Are my friends full of crap? What should I do?

-- Specs --
350 SBC
Holley 4150 750 Vacuum Line (Little too big I know)
Victor JR Intake.
MSD 6AL Ignition.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
What balancer is on it? If it’s a factory type make sure the ring hasn’t turned.

·
Registered
878 Posts
How did the engine run before you installed the MSD system?
Are you using a dial-back timing light? If so, using it correctly?
As bracketchev recommended I'd verify the timing mark on the balancer and the tab on the cover, (suggest finding TDC using the piston stop method).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts