Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
I think that is an autocorrect mistake, what I think he is saying it to get rid of the PCV valve altogether. Proper PCV is good for environment but also for you engine. Some reading on PCV (promo article for their adjustable on but anyways) article

You can always have an oil separator/catch can in the PCV circuit, which is nice have for anyone with a PCV circuit.

Btw what is with the IronSwede nickname? Myself I was born and raised in Stockholm. 馃嚫馃嚜
Great I'll check that article. Thank you.

And Ive had the username 'Ironswede' 30 years. Even owned the domain for awhile. No one has ever asked me.

Im born and raised in America. But Ive been into Volvos my whole life. Owned tons of them. My thought back in the day was the Volvo logo is the symbol for Iron...and they are Swedish so it just worked. Even had a pen pal over there for years. Before email was a thing. My dream car was always a Nova. Once I got it I kinda got away from Volvos. Would be nice to have a daily driver though one day.

Registered
I'll start here at the beginning.

I bought a brand new Blueprint engine. It is a 355 roller cam, with aluminum head and a holley carb and it dynod from BP with 399HP.
My Engine
Since the day I owned it it felt slow. Its the most HP Ive ever owned but Im positive my families Kia Sorrento would kill it.
Also It gets awful MPG. I have always told myself its slow because it has 3.08 gears and a TH350 (and maybe I bought the wrong torque converter.
The engine really shakes at idle. Today I saw a video of a Nova on facebook that shook like mine. I thought 'good thats normal'. Then I read all the comments and people said not good at all.

I know nothing about carburetors but I do know that people can learn a lot by looking at a spark plug. Attached are 2 plug images from 2 plugs.
View attachment 408876 View attachment 408877

Can you all please help me figure out what is wrong and maybe some things I can do to fix? Or just educate me enough that I can tell some local shop my problem. I realize that the plugs shouldnt look like that with chunks on them :)

Thank you all so much. Your helpfulness is SO appreciated!

Ryan
Ur probs may B mo complex than u Think.
I'll start here at the beginning.

I bought a brand new Blueprint engine. It is a 355 roller cam, with aluminum head and a holley carb and it dynod from BP with 399HP.
My Engine
Since the day I owned it it felt slow. Its the most HP Ive ever owned but Im positive my families Kia Sorrento would kill it.
Also It gets awful MPG. I have always told myself its slow because it has 3.08 gears and a TH350 (and maybe I bought the wrong torque converter.
The engine really shakes at idle. Today I saw a video of a Nova on facebook that shook like mine. I thought 'good thats normal'. Then I read all the comments and people said not good at all.

I know nothing about carburetors but I do know that people can learn a lot by looking at a spark plug. Attached are 2 plug images from 2 plugs.
View attachment 408876 View attachment 408877

Can you all please help me figure out what is wrong and maybe some things I can do to fix? Or just educate me enough that I can tell some local shop my problem. I realize that the plugs shouldnt look like that with chunks on them :)

Thank you all so much. Your helpfulness is SO appreciated!

Ryan
Ur problems may be mo complex than u think. Obviously running rich. If ur in a club or near an old time Hot Rod Shop , ask for their assist. Ya , you'll probably spend a few bucks. My guess is there's more than 1 issue and mayB a bunch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Just an update for you all if anyone reads this.
We had multiple things going on.
Adjusted timing...in fact the distributor was loose
All the plugs were not tight at all (no idea how that happened)
4 plug wires werent even snapped on.

I had them replace the plugs. So I'll drive it awhile and recheck the plugs. Hopefully one or all of those things fixed the issue. Otherwise I will have to find a carb tuner in town.

But fun thing was I had 3.73 gears installed with a limited slip while the car was there. :)

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Sounds like you found some simple fixes that most likely will make it run much better, if not back to the drawing board and the forum.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts