Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across 2 good deals. I found 4 78 trans am snowflake rims for $100 in real good shape and am wondering if they will fit. I have looked on this forum and can't find anything. Also found 67-69 camaro lowering coil springs brand new for $100. Will they fit my 69. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Will they?

You have a bit of a loaded question. First lets talk about the wheels. First is the bolt pattern; they need to be a 4.75 bolt pattern and I'm not sure that it's the same on Pontiac. Then there's the backspacing. That's the distance from the inside hub mounting surface to the inner flange next to the tire bead. That can be an issue depending on disc brakes and/or drum clearance. All told, try 'em on. The springs have similar issues. What car, exactly were they made for, and with what equipment? Engine weights are a big factor in spring compression. The springs may be the same length, but will compress at different rates. An in-line 6 weighs more than a small block chev, but only a little less than a big block. I think the Trans Am came with some engine options, big and bigger, but also some handling packages, stiff and stiffer. Get some part numbers and do a search so you know what your getting. I don't remember exactly what I paid for my front springs, but it was around $100 new. Oh, then, when you put those new, correct springs in, you may find that the ball joints need some attention and you will need to realign the front end.
This sounds like a lot of research, and it is, but doing it before you buy the parts means your money will not be spent on parts that are sitting on a shelf. Like I have.....

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Most Pontiacs have a 5*5 bolt pattern, but I believe the firebirds all had 5*4.75 so they should bolt up. as stated above, the backspacing will be the issue so you need to messure.

As for the First Gen Camaro springs on the 69 Nova. Yes there are subtle differences in the rates, but most aftermarket springs are interchangable. Keep in mind, the frames and suspension are the same in the two cars. You do need to know if they are big block or small block springs and match them to your engine. Most people put small block springs on thier 6cyl and aluminum head and manifold BBCs anc use small block springs too.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,029 Posts
You have a bit of a loaded question. First lets talk about the wheels. First is the bolt pattern; they need to be a 4.75 bolt pattern and I'm not sure that it's the same on Pontiac. Then there's the backspacing. That's the distance from the inside hub mounting surface to the inner flange next to the tire bead. That can be an issue depending on disc brakes and/or drum clearance. All told, try 'em on. The springs have similar issues. What car, exactly were they made for, and with what equipment? Engine weights are a big factor in spring compression. The springs may be the same length, but will compress at different rates. An in-line 6 weighs more than a small block chev, but only a little less than a big block. I think the Trans Am came with some engine options, big and bigger, but also some handling packages, stiff and stiffer. Get some part numbers and do a search so you know what your getting. I don't remember exactly what I paid for my front springs, but it was around $100 new. Oh, then, when you put those new, correct springs in, you may find that the ball joints need some attention and you will need to realign the front end.
This sounds like a lot of research, and it is, but doing it before you buy the parts means your money will not be spent on parts that are sitting on a shelf. Like I have.....
V8s weigh more than l6s and you measure back space from the wheel mounting surface to the outside of the wheel. It's for clearance purposes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts