Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a new cam on the new motor build. My question is how do i match everything up? IN a previous motor i had an Isky 292 Mega Hyd and it sounded awesome. I think that it might be too much cam this time and I only have 9.5:1 comp ratio.

It is a 406 with dish pistons, 5.7 rods, Trick Flow twisted wedge 23degree heads, and RPM Performer airgap intake. Do I match the cam to the intake and get the Eddy RPM Performer cam that matches the 1500-6500 range or is there a better way to match one? Do the heads play into this 'formula'?

Anything else necessary to give a good response?

cale

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Damn is that your car in your sig??? NICE!!! got anymore pics?

anyways best to PM camgrinder(john dougherty) he can set you up with the right cam for your combo. Do you know what your static compression ratio is? is all the machine work done to the engine? check out www.kb-silvolite.com and go into the tech section there is a pretty good comp ratio calculator. IMO that Isky Mega292 would work good. Little eric(member) has that cam in his 400 sbc and runs and sounds damn nice. And YES heads play a huge role.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am shopping for a new cam on the new motor build. My question is how do i match everything up? IN a previous motor i had an Isky 292 Mega Hyd and it sounded awesome. I think that it might be too much cam this time and I only have 9.5:1 comp ratio.

It is a 406 with dish pistons, 5.7 rods, Trick Flow twisted wedge 23degree heads, and RPM Performer airgap intake. Do I match the cam to the intake and get the Eddy RPM Performer cam that matches the 1500-6500 range or is there a better way to match one? Do the heads play into this 'formula'?

cale
It would be nice to have some flow data on those heads to make an informed decision, I flowed a set years ago, I will see if I can dig up the flow sheets, and yes 292 is too big in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Cale a lot of factors play!

Many many factors!

And you have to be very honest with yourself with answers and objectives.

What are you wanting to accomplish?
What is the car being used for?
Vehicle weight
Transmission
Converter (if used)
Rear gear & tires
Engine

Go to this link.
http://www.lunatipower.com/FindMyCam.aspx
Fill out the forms and send request.

There are cam company's who specialize is SALES! There are cam company's that specialize in CAMS!!!!

The list of what I call true cam company's!
Lunati
Crower
Crane
Isky

And many more.

There are cam company's that are in sales first with a broad group of cams that will do what they say, GENERIC! they don't hurt you, but they don't give you the best.

Base your decision on the honest answers you get.

I completely trust Lunati.
They are first on my list when the best and perfection is a must.

I have used many cams from other company's based on economy and previous uses, not limited to Summit, Melling, Speed pro, Doug Herbert.

IMO
AL

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
well look who made to this site.. great to see you here mark(vortecpro)!! i hope you post your engines in the for sale and services section for all to see. ive showed a few on here your ebay store page and got flamed for doing so. a few of the site "experts" say you cant buy a quality engine at a fair price especially on ebay..

welcome to the site!! :yes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Do I match the cam to the intake and get the Eddy RPM
That cam is a dinosaur, just like the Comp 292--I'm sure you could find something better today. I run Isky or Lunati these days, but I have had good luck with Comp. Comp will make any cam you want, just like most cam companies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Use a dynamic compression calculator for cam choice

cale
Selecting a cam is a tough job. One way to help yourself is by using a dynamic compression calculator. One I found by Pat Kelley that is very informative and helpful is here;

http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/index.html

He gives a complete explaination of Static and Dynamic compression and how to determine it using his slick DCR calculator. I used it several times when I was building my 350 to decide on all the variables. Cylinder head cc's, piston top shape and number of valve reliefs and head gasket thickness etc.

I was looking for a torque motor to use with a T56 six speed in my '66 that would be happy with pump gas. I found that the smaller the cam, the higher the dynamic compression and the opposite is also true. This helped me select my compression and level of cam for my engine. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, thanks for all the great information. All very informative.

Did the cam selector and am waiting for a reply. Looked at the 262/268 Lunati and found this one.
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1983&gid=287

Going to do the calculator also.

Ready for the cam now so hopefully find my answer asap. i need my cam and finish up the motor. get it in and hang body parts back on and get it on the road again.

cale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts