Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i test drove the nova yesterday, and i have no brakes. the pedal goes to the floor. im going to bleed them, and adjust them. now my question: does the shorter pad go towards the front? ive never done front drums, but i always put it towards the front when i do rear drums.

·
Registered
278 Posts
front or rear brakes they are both the same...here is a thought that will make you never forget which one goes in front,was told to me by an old brake guy, brake shoes are like a woman the big part is in the rear.:eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brake shoes are like a woman the big part is in the rear.:eek:
nice. your right though, i doubt i'll forget that.:D i pulled one of the front drums to see if the shoes needed to be replaced and the short one was in the rear. so... add that to the list of crap i need to do to get it inspected. thanks guys.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I always try to get my new guys to do the brakes one side at a time, that way they can use the other side for reference (as long as it's done right) while doing the brake job. You can go back and forth to see which spring goes where, what shoe goes in front ect...never get to far in front of yourself. I get brake jobs here from so called master tech's with the shoes on backwards, everybody get in a hurry sometimes:eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im assuming the guy i bought the car from put them on, 'cause i sure as hell didnt. just one thing among many that the guy f'd up. thanks again, man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"just one thing among many that the guy f'd up"

If I had a dollar for everytime I said that about my nova i'd be rich! lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, it turns out only the front driver side shoes were on backwards. the other 3 wheels were fine. BUT the lower springs on the front that pull the bottom of the shoes back in were m.i.a. on both sides. the rear shoes were adjusted in so far that they barely made contact at full pedal(i could still turn the drums by hand:eek:) and the fluid in the master cylinder looked like choc milk.:doh: i flushed all of the old fluid out and replaced with new stuff. i bled the brakes and the pedal still goes to the floor! ***? im going to re-bleed the master cylinder, and replace the wheel cylinders and brake hardware and hope that fixes it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and why the hell are there no holes in the backing plate to adjust the shoes?!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts