Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a 65 Chevy II and he has installed a tubular lower control arm kit by CPP, he also has a Moroso spring and a set of CE 91/10 front shocks. The problem is he has way toooooo much transfer, he has 11" of travel and we need to reduce it to 5" - 6".

He has tried to run it with and without the front stablizer bar and the only thing that mattered is that with the stablizer it was more stable. When I say more stable I mean it didn't wonder as much.

That front end gets up in the air and it is not safe but Jim won't lift.

So I need to hear from you guys that have like vehicles, it will run 10's as soon as he gets it to hook and track straight. Here are a few picturs of his NICE 65, I just wish they had taken a pic of it launching.

Thanks for the help

Phil

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
Looks like a really nice car. As for your front end lift issues I have been to the mid 10's with stock suspension without an issue. It sounds like there may be room for improvement in the alignment department. Does he know what the total +caster is? You will want to be around +3 deg. caster or more. The more you can get the better.

Let that front come up it will work you just have to fine tune it :yes:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Wierd, I have run 10.70's stock front suspension, 90/10's but with global west handling springs though. Front end comes up maybe 3 inches from rest, dosen't lift the front tire and runs 1.57 60's. I did try the moroso trick front springs but took them off right away due to alignment change on the launch. Your friend could try suspension limiters if he dosent want to change the springs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
11 inches and its not pulling the tires???

Like Mr. Church said, its all in the alignment. My front suspension is bone stock expect the 90/10 shocks, even six cylinder springs. Max travel is 10 inches. Very consistent 1.41 sixty foot times. No limiters.

Side note. It looks like the car has a Cal-Trac type traction device, if so my car would launch then unload and spin. I switched to the Rancho adjustable that Calvert recommends and dropped .15 in the 60. Pulls the tires about 6 inches and rides out!Those bars work great on first and second gens because of the front end travel. You must control the rate of seperation at the rear.

Scott

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I know people who do their alignments with the front end of the car raised up to the same height as it will be going down the track. Our super stock Camaro was done that way.

I have ran up to 5 1/2 degrees caster on my 66. I couldn't tell the difference after 3 degrees other than steering it got harder, but I am only running a little over 90 mph in the 1/8.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot guys I will give him this information

Thanks again

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts