Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! So my 72 was a track car when I got it as a roller. Many things were removed from it that I now need to piece back together to make it a daily driver. The biggest issue is that I have never had or seen the car together and am new to doing anything more than replacing heating/cooling components.

It appears from the dash that the car originally was an A/C car, which I would LOVE to have again. The car has much of the interior gutted now as I redo it and no drivetrain. I am wanting to plan and figure this out now before I have everything back together so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be putting a 454 big block into it. Originality is not of concern, just function (and budget). I will post some pics below as well. What is my best route to go, just replacing stock parts? Can I make it an A/C car again? Would I be better off looking at an aftermarket setup?

Thanks!!:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
N -- Nova

O -- Omega

V -- Ventura

A -- Apollo

Here's what I might do ; Look for an ' X -- Body ' …. type "Parts Car". Say a 4 door … even a parts car complete (minus engine & trans, would be OK . There are a-few parts that differ from a 2dr & a 4dr ; but most / or / some parts like these "A/C under hood -- 'suitcase assembly for the a/c should interchange' . Then, there ARE A LOT of smaller parts that you may need ; some A/C switches, wiring , vac. cans & vac hoses.

If you could not find a suitable 'parts car' (that you use too change-over …… Then, I go After-Market … Add-On-Air …… your choice .

Either way ………...….. think about it ---- just my 2cents …….

jim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. Not sure if its geographical or what but no chance at a parts car around here, I have looked many times and if there is anything it is sold like a pot of gold to be "restored". I see some parts on Ebay, but I honestly am not sure all that I need :confused:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Even if you go "Add - on - air" …. you can make the inside vents look like factory Air .

Look up member ' bigallis1 ' ----- he added aftermarket AIR ----- and made his dash vents look original .

Jim's 69 Nova is a very Clean car , too boot . Search for his :

A/C install ….. with some good Pictures .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if you go "Add - on - air" …. you can make the inside vents look like factory Air .

Look up member ' bigallis1 ' ----- he added aftermarket AIR ----- and made his dash vents look original .

Jim's 69 Nova is a very Clean car , too boot . Search for his :

A/C install ….. with some good Pictures .
Thanks, I will!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
AC/Heater

I have a 70 SS that came with factory air. Over the years I've had to redo a lot of it. I've been under my dash the last few months working under the dash. Electric Instrument cluster and bezel. Replaced the AC/Heater control cables also. I'm the type that will do just about anything to keep it original. First thing I did different was the A6 compressor, gone. The new one start slinging oil all over the detailed engine bay. To make a long story short, While the dash is gutted it would be good time to replace or put in a ac/heater. I've told myself if anything else goes wrong it would be a Vintage Air for the old girl. I got a 62 Nova with VA and it's a good AC, not great but good. It gets rid of a lot of problems. With you running a big block you will have a lot more room in the engine bay. I've had to recharge my 70 ac, has some leaks. But I will say my VA doesn't leak.
Just something to think about it.
Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 70 SS that came with factory air. Over the years I've had to redo a lot of it. I've been under my dash the last few months working under the dash. Electric Instrument cluster and bezel. Replaced the AC/Heater control cables also. I'm the type that will do just about anything to keep it original. First thing I did different was the A6 compressor, gone. The new one start slinging oil all over the detailed engine bay. To make a long story short, While the dash is gutted it would be good time to replace or put in a ac/heater. I've told myself if anything else goes wrong it would be a Vintage Air for the old girl. I got a 62 Nova with VA and it's a good AC, not great but good. It gets rid of a lot of problems. With you running a big block you will have a lot more room in the engine bay. I've had to recharge my 70 ac, has some leaks. But I will say my VA doesn't leak.
Just something to think about it.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I am pulling the fenders tonight so I can get the covers pulled and see exactly what I have. But if it is going to be too bad, as much as I hate the price tag, I will look towards a vintage air.

Thanks,
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts